Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rim touching strut

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Photos required of:
Tyre size on tyre of left.
Tyre size on tyre of right.
Tyre size on rears

On the back of the wheel is stamped the specs of the rim. Post a photo of the specs on:
The offending rim
The opposite rim on the front.
The rears.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Hi all so im have a very strange issue one ive never seen before i have a 2011 ve omega series 2 it has hsv 19s on it i had a new tyre put on the rim about a year ago and the rim sat in the boot due to not being registered and i never got around to putting it back on the car until the other day. When i out it on the front left the rim itself was touching the strut to the point the point it wouldnt spin at all i replaced the strut thinking it was bent but problem still there i then swapped the 2 front tyres arpund out the one from the right on the left and its free spinning like normal. But now that rim is touch on the right side strut it has to be some issue with the rim from whag i can see but what i dont know it has had a new tyre ballenced with no issues same size tyres on all 4 rims anyone have any advice on what it could be would be great thanks
Judging by the OP's description, the wheel rim is contacting the strut and all 4 wheels have the same size tyres. 245's???
My bet is the OP will find he has one 19" x 8.5" and one 19" x 9.5" wheel on the rear axle and the same combo on the front.
I'm betting something like the following has occurred, the guys at the tyre shop have moved the left front wheel to the left rear axle, the spare wheel has been fitted to the left front as it is the original Omega spare wheel not a HSV 19" wheel and the new tyre has been fitted to the 9.5" wide rear wheel.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Now that sounds like the best plausible explanation yet.

But shouldn't the rear 9.5" have a wider tire fitted?

dylan720

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp cxommordore
You cant rotate the wheel at all but where it rubs it indicates right around the wheel not on the tyre at all just the rim itself i will get a picture of it and the rim did come off the car to get a new tyre fitted

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Now that sounds like the best plausible explanation yet.

But shouldn't the rear 9.5" have a wider tire fitted?
Yes according to what I have read. 245's on the 8.5 and 275's on the 9.5
You cant rotate the wheel at all but where it rubs it indicates right around the wheel not on the tyre at all just the rim itself i will get a picture of it and the rim did come off the car to get a new tyre fitted
Well that alone confirms to me the tyre is too small for the rim. The tyre that required replacement, was that on the front or the rear?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
When you get a picture, we need to see what is stamped on the inside of the rim and we need to see what tyre size is printed on the tyre.

We also need to see what is stamped on the other rims and what tyre size is printed on those.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if same tyre is used on wider rim then that would explain how the rim is contacting and not the tyre as the tyre will prob be stretched over, i dont know any factory rim widths where the correct tyre dosnt protrude a smidge to protect the rim, otherwise with tyre fitted on rim i cant see how the rim would contact first esp on front

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
All the rage now isn't it. And the badly bent axles. lol
maxresdefault.jpg

dylan720

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp cxommordore
Sorted guys thanks for all your help was a wider rim checked all 4 of them 2 wider ones at the back the 2 narrow ones at the front dont really know why they would have swapped the front tyre around like that at a shop but atleast it is fixed now

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Sorted guys thanks for all your help was a wider rim checked all 4 of them 2 wider ones at the back the 2 narrow ones at the front dont really know why they would have swapped the front tyre around like that at a shop but atleast it is fixed now
I'm betting the reason will be it isn't mechanically good for your differential to operate with two vastly different diameter tyres.
So best and safest thing to do was put the front tyre on the rear axle and put the std 16" Omega spare on the front.