Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Respraying panels with spray cans

cwbyup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
... give your bonnet 12months max before it is all peeling, the sun will kill it guaranteed

Does it make any differance if it has the clear or not ?

Cheers Nick

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
I did all the prep on my VN ss kit and bumpers with cans of undercoat. (main colour went on with a spray gun tho and I was very happy with the job) Mist coat over the first lot of primer to fix and marks and scratches. Then recoated and light rub with 800 grit to get it nice n smooth. Use 800 for metalic paints - any less (600) will show scratches, any higher like 1200 and you are wasting time. use 1200 for polishing the clear after.

As said above the bonnet may well look a little patchy - but will look heaps better than it does now :).

Thats what I figured, Im going to prep the whole car when i can and get my father inlaw to help me paint it with a spray gun.

Well the bonnet is done, it is patchy like mentioned above but the patches are only noticeable when looking at it i certain light angles. The clear coat is on now.

How long do i need to leave it before i can give it a good pollish? Im thinking of getting a cheap ryobi pollisher but will this be to harsh on the new paint?

On the upside the wing looks awsome, barely a blotch in it.

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
Here are some pics of the finished panels, you can see the blotchyness in the bonnet but with a rub back and a polish it hopefully will look better. The wing on the other hand looks great.

DSCF0085Medium.jpg

DSCF0084Medium.jpg

DSCF0083Medium.jpg

DSCF0082Medium.jpg

trav_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss and vs statesman
Probly find aerosol paint may be too thin to polish really hard if any at all. Be careful the paint maybe thin

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
the paint will be way to thin to cut and polish, defo dont go rubbing it down with 1200 it will never polish up you will end up polishing what little bit of clear you have got on there off.
You can use 1200 to cut 2k paint then 1500 before buffing 9 times out of 10 you can just cut with 1500 straight off unless your spraying skills are to poor and you cant get it flat enough, on aerosol paint you wont have enough build to cut

When you get the panels back on post up some pictures, will be interesting to see how the colour matches, metallic colours like that you normally have blend the adjacent panels to get it to match.

hypedz

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro
to get the blotchiness out you need to do it before it dries, you shouldnt let it dry between coats completely, only let it flash for off for 5 mins mak just so its touch dry, you need to get all your coats on before you let it dry out completely, i wouldnt be polishing paint from a can, you should put a clear coat over it to polish but to do that you need to rub it with a 1000 pad wet or some grey scotchy with flatting paste,
nice job for a spray can though grats

Last edited:

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
thanks bandit.

im thinking i may get another couple of tins and rub the bonnet back a bit and give it another go. Im realy happy with the wing but I think i can get the bonnet better.

If i do rub it back and do some more coats of paint I will do the coats one after the other and then give a light rub back and do clear coat. Then I will hunt down some finer sand paper and then use normal polish to see how that comes up.

And I will post up some pics when they are on.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
if your talking about cutting it, you will need cutting compound not "normal polish" and a machine polisher