Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommendations on 3" exhaust system for VT SS LS1

Fast Eddie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore series 2
Want to get a decent 3" cat back exhaust system for my VT SS Commodore series 2 with LS1 Gen 3 and was going to get an Empire Performance exhaust but got some feedback there not so good and want to see if anyone has had a experience with them good or bad or can recommend a good reasonable priced 3" cat back exhaust system?

02Monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Series 1 V2 Monaro
I went with a full 3" Pacemaker catback and 1 3/4 Extractors. Not the cheapest but IMO one of the best sounding systems, even on a stock LS1. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like when I do heads and cam in a few months. A lot of people seem to like xforce but I personally think they sound terrible. Empire systems look nice but I think they sound pretty bad as well.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Want to get a decent 3" cat back exhaust system for my VT SS Commodore series 2 with LS1 Gen 3 and was going to get an Empire Performance exhaust but got some feedback there not so good and want to see if anyone has had a experience with them good or bad or can recommend a good reasonable priced 3" cat back exhaust system?

I've used a bit of empire over the years, it's good for the money, like xforce it's a bit raspy on a stocker, fine on a beastie. Get what you pay for, DPE/Manta has the sound and steel for a premium

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
best exhaust i've had on a ls1 was a diffillippo twin 3" deep not a raspy x force sound, i have a redback system on my VT ss and its pretty average

Fast Eddie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore series 2
Thanks guys the main thing I'm want is the extra horse power of the 3" the car use to have a 3" exhaust on when I'd bought it but was totally shot as well as the cats but had heaps of grunt but had to change it all and went a 2-5" xforce for a road worthy and it wasn't the same think it's got the pacemaker extractor's so might have been a pacemaker cat back to but couldn't keep it on if don't get the empire be good to try the pacemaker depending on the budget if I'd have the funds I'd go a Manta but probably not going to happen. Thanks again for your advice

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I'm assuming you are talking about a twin 3"?

On a stock LS1, twin 3" is a bit much for a stock engine, 2.5" is the sweet spot.

You really don't need 3" for a street car unless your making big power. Twin 3" is going to rob a heap of power/torque down low and move it up towards the redline so you might find that a twin 3" actually feels slower than twin 2.5 with normal driving.

Unless you've got a decent cam or forced induction twin 2.5 is going to make the best power for a street car.

But if you are set on twin 3" (they do sound the best I must admit) I'd go a pacemaker system or get something custom made by a reputable workshop. Both Empire and Xforce are junk, stay away from them.

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore series 2
I'm assuming you are talking about a twin 3"?

On a stock LS1, twin 3" is a bit much for a stock engine, 2.5" is the sweet spot.

You really don't need 3" for a street car unless your making big power. Twin 3" is going to rob a heap of power/torque down low and move it up towards the redline so you might find that a twin 3" actually feels slower than twin 2.5 with normal driving.

Unless you've got a decent cam or forced induction twin 2.5 is going to make the best power for a street car.

But if you are set on twin 3" (they do sound the best I must admit) I'd go a pacemaker system or get something custom made by a reputable workshop. Both Empire and Xforce are junk, stay away from them.
Hi yeah 3" twin system don't think the motor is totally stock it's not super lumpy but still sounds great with the 2-5" X force but doesn't have the low down wheel spinning torque it did think it's had some mods and I've done a few more with a OTR and computer module upgrade it seems like it wants to rev out faster but can't where it could before it's got a shift kit and some other stuff so not sure someone has been messing with the wiring so a mechanic said it might be ex pursuit car but he wasn't sure either people still comment on how good it sounds even with the ex force it doesn't idle high kind of low and rumbling so not 100/% but feel the lag when revving and the feeling where it use to rev instantly before. Thinking of going with the pacemaker system.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Even on a mild LS 3" is going to smash your scavenging and rob power, you could tune for it up high but not down low, it just sounds sweet which can often feed the placebo. I have a twin 3" for a good reason namely 6.3L of forged, fruity boost

Fast Eddie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore series 2
Even on a mild LS 3" is going to smash your scavenging and rob power, you could tune for it up high but not down low, it just sounds sweet which can often feed the placebo. I have a twin 3" for a good reason namely 6.3L of forged, fruity boost
I'm just trying to work out why since I've put the X force 2-5" cat back on why the power has actually decided since taking the 3" off maybe the cats or something? Did change them around the same time.