Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rear quarter damage

zeth003

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 holden vy berlina v6 sedan
gday guys was just seeing if this would be repairable or a write off, i backed into the missus dads tray
IMG_8269.jpeg

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
It's impossible to answer as a photo is only showing the surface damage - who knows what hidden damage is there. It also goes down to what the car is insured for and the value of the car etc.

You will not get an accurate answer with a photo online. Take it to an assessor for the correct answer.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d suggest that would be written off, but yeah, you could have good cover. That whole rear quarter has to come off and be replaced.

Certainly repairable if you were doing it yourself and could take the time to strip the car and drill out all the spot welds. Weld in the whole new panel. Then a large part of the car will need to be resprayed.

If that has plenty of goodies, and those wheels say there might be, I’d be seeking to buy the car back out of the payout, find a straight body and swap everything over.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If that's a V6 VY, I could almost say 100% that's a write off.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Ahhh, that looks fairly easy, they would likely easy beat it out then just correct it with a hammer.

I'm pretty sure from memory the fuel section is accessible from the inside which is the hard part.

I'm a mechanic by trade, but used to work in a smash shop doing the mechanical work.
The Philippino panel beaters would have that done in a day.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ahhh, that looks fairly easy, they would likely easy beat it out then just correct it with a hammer.

I'm pretty sure from memory the fuel section is accessible from the inside which is the hard part.

I'm a mechanic by trade, but used to work in a smash shop doing the mechanical work.
The Philippino panel beaters would have that done in a day.
1708402543579.png

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
This is a PDR on a Rivian, it's a similar amount of damage.
Doing the commodore in the photo above with easy beaters would be soooo much easier than PDR.
Easy beaters are little slide hammer tabs that get spot welded onto the metal so you beat it from the out side.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hmmmm, $1,500 in paint and about five hours of panel work at $120 an hour. Car is worth $2k tops, You do the math Shane.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hmmmm, $1,500 in paint and about five hours of panel work at $120 an hour. Car is worth $2k tops, You do the math Shane.

We don't even know what it is?
It could be worth more than 2k.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
We don't even know what it is?
It could be worth more than 2k.
Only if it's a V8. Waiting for the OP to say. However, if it is a V8 I'm not sure he would be asking the question. Also unless the OP is talking about another car its his VY V6 that we are seeing in the photo.