Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Question about cars

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
QUESTION: While scrolling through carsales.com.au, I've noticed that Euro cars seem to usually have less kilometres than Japanese or Australian cars of the same age (around 10 to 15 years old)... Is this because they've been spending more time in the workshop, been driven less, or just plain fraud?

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Some Euros seem to devalue very quickly.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Euros are generally very expensive to maintain out of warranty and this is reflected in the price of used vehicles.

Also euro owners are generally “keeping up with the joneses” types who are updating their cars to brand new ones every five minutes which pumps more of them into the used market.

48-215

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajerodore
He asked about lower KMs (for age), not dollars.

Its Jap not Euro, but my father in law bought his car new in 1999, its now got 50,000 km on it. But they drive the mother in laws car mostly, and shes gone through 3 in the same period. But they also drive less than they used too.

Could be the mindset to buy Euro also tends to drive less? Take public transport more in cities? Age of the average owner might play a role too. I doubt its widespread fraud from Euro owners or resellers. Well, not anymore than any other brand groups anyway.

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I think it's because lots of people with Euros have more than one car. Euro is the cruiser and something else is the daily. Aussie and Japanese cars also tend to be used more in fleet and business circles

My boy just bought a 2005 E46 with low kms and a novel of a service history - two owner. If it was a Commodore I bet the exact opposite would be true

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Find out how many Euros are bought new with private money to be a daily and a keeper.
Prestige, badge snobbery (and being unwilling to admit it) and leasing would be main reasons.
2 of the German brands, along with there side brands, are well known for taking the money and wishing the new owner best of luck in the future.
The other brand has a better reputation for looking after customers during the warranty period.

If you can't afford to buy a new Euro, you can't afford to run a used Euro.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^^^^ the last line is spot on the money.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
QUESTION: While scrolling through carsales.com.au, I've noticed that Euro cars seem to usually have less kilometres than Japanese or Australian cars of the same age... Is this because they've been spending more time in the workshop, been driven less, or just plain fraud?
Mate, we paid $8000 for a 2002 Merc. E500, had it for four years traded it for the Holden and the car yard put $8000 on it again.Was only in the car yard for a week before being resold. As mentioned earlier the cheapest thing about buying a second hand Euro is the initial purchase price.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If you can't afford to buy a new Euro, you can't afford to run a used Euro.

Depends on if you're a DIY person. This E46 is as easy to work on as my commodore and aftermarket parts in a heap of cases are cheaper. I think we've been conditioned by Euro mechanics to think that way. Latest and greatest all bets are off