Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem with VF Commodore stock while reversing.

grahm_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
First time posting here not too knowledgeable about cars but not horrible either.

For reference it’s a stock VF SV6 Sportswagon Auto.

Me and my dad share this car and we have both noticed that when reversing (when cold) that there is a low grinding noise coming from either the engine or trans. I’m a delivery driver so I am reversing all the time, and I never notice it once the cars been warmed up. However when I was driving today (while cold) when I was in 3rd gear going over 3000 revs I could hear it again. Noticed it a few times again at 3rd gear but disappeared after warmed up - again. Going for it’s usual service next week but is there any advice I could get? Bit of a long story myb, cheers boys.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Hi grahm_, welcome to the forum. I've noticed a similar thing on my 2014 VF1, but it only happens for a short time when the car is stone cold and I accelerate forwards in first gear up a steep hill after exiting my driveway. It doesn't happen when travelling downhill, which leads me to conclude it's something to do with the transmission fluid level when it's cold. It sounds like bearing starvation or cavitation. I just ease up on the throttle and it goes away. It never occurs when the car is warm. I suggest you get the trans fluid level checked at the service.

grahm_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
Hi grahm_, welcome to the forum. I've noticed a similar thing on my 2014 VF1, but it only happens for a short time when the car is stone cold and I accelerate forwards in first gear up a steep hill after exiting my driveway. It doesn't happen when travelling downhill, which leads me to conclude it's something to do with the transmission fluid level when it's cold. It sounds like bearing starvation or cavitation. I just ease up on the throttle and it goes away. It never occurs when the car is warm. I suggest you get the trans fluid level checked at the service.
Cheers mate