Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Post your net speed!

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The work they've been doing on 5g round here is paying off. Leaves my fixed net at home for dead, aside latency

1000019002.jpg

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
This is with fixed wireless.

16126723470.png

Currently in the process of changing to NBN via FTTP.

Fark me I would never want to play any online game with that connection. With the latency fluctuating an your download ping peaking at 450 milliseconds (that's 0.45 seconds) you would be dead before you saw the other player in a shooter game. Thats over a distance of only 50 miles to the test server. I got 40 ms ping from Kaitaia, down to Auckland and then accross to Sydney at a distance of more than 1350 miles in my test above. You will be soo happy when you get fibre, unbelievably impressed by the difference.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
The work they've been doing on 5g round here is paying off. Leaves my fixed net at home for dead, aside latency

View attachment 266710

Wow, another connection with very bad latency, and jitter as well (dropping packets, but they are being resent successfully, so there is no loss shown) which is even worse for online gaming. Your download ping high of 1165 ms is 1.165 seconds. I don't know whether it's relevant, but the 'Data used' numbers in your test appear to support that. Upload total of MB data beng less than the Mbps speed with "only" 38 jitter, but download total MB of data almost double Mbps with 87 jitter (because more of the data packets were dropped and then had to be resent).
Good thing nobody plays online games in your house eh?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Wow, another connection with very bad latency, and jitter as well (dropping packets, but they are being resent successfully, so there is no loss shown) which is even worse for online gaming. Your download ping high of 1165 ms is 1.165 seconds. I don't know whether it's relevant, but the 'Data used' numbers in your test appear to support that. Upload total of MB data beng less than the Mbps speed with "only" 38 jitter, but download total MB of data almost double Mbps with 87 jitter (because more of the data packets were dropped and then had to be resent).
Good thing nobody plays online games in your house eh?

Jitter is packet latency, nothing is dropping. Speed tests are only good for raw bandwidth these days, those latency numbers are impossible. I wouldn't be able to use video, let alone voice for calls if they were accurate. Teams and zoom show jitter well under 30. Ping is usually around 30-40, I can live with that, I don't game on my phone much. I think some ISP's QoS and offload these tests like mine. I can see it on a PCAP

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

The nostalgia! I remember the days of the 56k modem, which I’d be lucky to get 28k on as I was out in the boonies and my ISP was the University of Queensland!

You got a whole 200 megabytes as your monthly download limit so you had to ration what you did on the interwebs or you would blow your monthly limit and extra megabytes were expensive.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride

View attachment 266710

I only have 4G here but even that manages about 100mbps which is twice as fast as my NBN connection because I’m stingy and don’t want to pay the extra to get fibre to the premises!

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
The nostalgia! I remember the days of the 56k modem, which I’d be lucky to get 28k on as I was out in the boonies and my ISP was the University of Queensland!

You got a whole 200 megabytes as your monthly download limit so you had to ration what you did on the interwebs or you would blow your monthly limit and extra megabytes were expensive.
When I was at uni in the late 90's we had no download limits, that came after us. Downloading music from torrents and putting them onto 3.5 inch floppy disks, or if you had money you had a zip drive disk lol.

We actually had FTTP when we moved to central QLD in early 2015. Moved back to Brisbane and had ADSL2 and then in 2017 moved to our current house and had to put up with ADSL1. Used to just hotspot off phones all the time.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
We actually had FTTP when we moved to central QLD in early 2015. Moved back to Brisbane and had ADSL2 and then in 2017 moved to our current house and had to put up with ADSL1. Used to just hotspot off phones all the time.

The shite thing for where I am is I was actually downgraded when the NBN came along as we got screwed over with fibre to the kerb.

I was on Optus cable internet before that and it would regularly get between 80-100mbps and now I’m on 50mbps as I didn’t want to pay more than what I was already paying for my old Optus plan.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
The shite thing for where I am is I was actually downgraded when the NBN came along as we got screwed over with fibre to the kerb.

I was on Optus cable internet before that and it would regularly get between 80-100mbps and now I’m on 50mbps as I didn’t want to pay more than what I was already paying for my old Optus plan.
Had a few mates with the old cable and from memory it was good.

I ended up on a 100/40 plan on FTTN before FTTP and to be honest, that was actually ok. Hit the advertised speeds all the time. We were reasonably close to the node, and I think it was pretty much the max we could get out of it. Only reason I needed to go bigger was upload speed, and I routinely upload 15-20 gig worth of stuff to the cloud a couple of times a day.