Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Alloytec] Pops and crackle tuning

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I’ve a 2007 ve sv6 with rear muffler delete, is it possible to get pops and crackle with this type of exhaust mod by getting my car tuned
Err, I don’t think so, but I’m sure you’ll soon find out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think you will find you will also need to delete the cats as they won't last long with a pop & crackle.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I’ve a 2007 ve sv6 with rear muffler delete, is it possible to get pops and crackle with this type of exhaust mod by getting my car tuned
Quite possibly if the ECU allows it. The V8 ECU allows it as my SSV has the snap crackle and pop on overrun. Tune was done by a previous owner so I can’t really advise any further on the technical aspects of it.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think you will find you will also need to delete the cats as they won't last long with a pop & crackle.
Not necessarily. My SSV still has cats as I don’t smell petrol when it’s idling on petrol. I’d like to hope that the car yard I bought it from wouldn’t sign off a roady on a car with knocked cats either, although granted it’s difficult to trust a used car yard.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not necessarily. My SSV still has cats as I don’t smell petrol when it’s idling on petrol. I’d like to hope that the car yard I bought it from wouldn’t sign off a roady on a car with knocked cats either, although granted it’s difficult to trust a used car yard.
Maybe I'm thinking of something else. The pop & crackle I'm referring too is that one where you allow fuel to enter the exhaust. I have what you have on certain gear changes, normally changing down and going down certain declines on my travels.

Maybe what I'm thinking of is not pop and crackle and called something else?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe I'm thinking of something else. The pop & crackle I'm referring too is that one where you allow fuel to enter the exhaust. I have what you have on certain gear changes, normally changing down and going down certain declines on my travels.

Maybe what I'm thinking of is not pop and crackle and called something else?
Yeah, it fires the injectors on the exhaust stroke to burn in the exhaust. Probably fires the spark plug at the same time to ignite the fuel but I’m not sure as I don’t do ECU programming.

As long as it’s not an excessive amount of fuel it won’t hurt the catalyst. Some modern manufacturers do it from the factory like Hyundai with the I30N.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Nothing,
apart from making fart noises, and/or sound like glorified go-carts, or/and fart boxes,
and the look at me syndrome.

There is nothing better than the sound of V8, with a nice exhaust to produce the appropriate note.