Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

polyester

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
No offence taken mate. I've seen some top quality jobs done in Protec, each to there own i guess. Having said that, the only Protec product i have ever used was the polyester, everything else is PPG.

Everyone does things different, but I'd rather use a smoother paper, but that's me.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ok, so whats involved with prepping the panel? for example i have decided to go back and do the roof again cos' my mate did such a crap job on both the bog work and the paint (the corners of the front and rear screens are round and they are meant to be square so the chrome trims dont fit up, the roof has a massive wave in the middle on the drivers side and the paint is so frikken peely, looks like he used a roller to apply it) can i get away with scotchbrite, or will i need to really dig into the paint with some 40 or 80 to get the poly to bite in? in fact, how much prep do i need to do on any panel to get it to stick?

how hard does this stuff go and how quickly? is it like bog where you have 10 mins of soft, a few hours of medium and then its rock hard? should i be looking at preping/spraying/sanding one panel at a time or will it be ok to hit, say, one whole side of the car and take a few days flattening it out?

appreciate the help guys. also on the "price vs product" thing. i have always been of the understanding that even crappy motorspray paint can yeild an excellent result, you just need to know how to use it... but with a higher price, the more the product works for you. i dont mind paying more money for something, but only if it takes away some of the 'idiot factor' i.e. my inexpierence.

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
ive used cheap **** before and it looked tops but i wouldnt trust it to last ages.
cheap clears dont have alot of u.v blockouts therefore will detiriorate quicker than the more exxy stuff which is made properly.

in regards to prep for poly id just scratch the paint/primer up with 80 or 120 and hit the ####.
dotn fart arse about either, lay on your first coat and when it gets slightly tacky hit it again and repeat thats what i do.

DO NOT let that **** go hard in the gun otherwise youll be spending more time cleaning or should i say trying to clean the gun than sanding the panel