Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance mechanics

Sam Barnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s pac
Bit of a long shot. But does anyone know of a performance mechanic shop looking for an apprentice or just some help. On the Northside of Brisbane. I’m looking for a mechanic shop that focus more around performance upgrades and engine enhancements.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Are you trying to find a job or are you looking to take your car to a performance shop?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
After a job

Getting a job at the moment is really easy.....There are so many vacancies, it's not funny..

My advise is, knock on some doors.....I'd be very surprised if you spend more than a day before you got a job in the motor industry...

Sam Barnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s pac
Getting a job at the moment is really easy.....There are so many vacancies, it's not funny..

My advise is, knock on some doors.....I'd be very surprised if you spend more than a day before you got a job in the motor industry...
I thought the same but I’ve gone to 5 performance places over this week n haven’t had any luck. The best reply I’ve gotten so far is that they need an apprentice but can’t hire one until they get another fully qualified mechanic.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I thought the same but I’ve gone to 5 performance places over this week n haven’t had any luck. The best reply I’ve gotten so far is that they need an apprentice but can’t hire one until they get another fully qualified mechanic.

You might have to go to a normal mechanical shop before stepping into the performance side.

I know for sure, Mycar Australia wide are looking for staff.....So go knock on their door to start with

Sam Barnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s pac
You might have to go to a normal mechanical shop before stepping into the performance side.

I know for sure, Mycar Australia wide are looking for staff.....So go knock on their door to start with
I’ve got a couple more places to go to before I start looking at a normal mechanics but if I get no luck I’m probably going to have to.

Old_Starlight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II SS 5.7 Auto
Bit of a long shot. But does anyone know of a performance mechanic shop looking for an apprentice or just some help. On the Northside of Brisbane. I’m looking for a mechanic shop that focus more around performance upgrades and engine enhancements.
Sam, are you actually seeking an apprenticeship? If so, the place where you start your apprenticeship should be based on that shop's and head mechanic's track record with apprentices. Get a solid start and build your own credibility as a mechanic. The upside is that once you're "in", your network will expand and you will learn the "who's who" of performance from people in the industry. Meanwhile, if you build a solid reputation for work ethic and ability on the tools, you can carry that forward to a performance shop and offer your services.

I am not sure if this is still the case, but I believe some of the V8 Supercar teams took on apprentices in the past. If they still do, then you can't argue that they know performance.

The other thing I would suggest if it is the apprenticeship you seek is to not limit yourself to Brisbane's North side. If it is "convenience" you seek, it lends an appearance that apprenticeship is not for you.

The ADF still do apprenticeships and you'd be surprised at the speed projects they embark upon ;)

If it is just hanging out at speed shops that you seek, most mechanics will talk speed all day everyday if you can engage them. Any shop will do if you want that type of interaction and most will figure out a way around WOHS to have you help out as you talk performance.

Hope this helps give you ideas.