Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting a bike frame

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...re/121020.html#q=black+paint&segment=2&page=1

What are peoples thoughts on this to paint my bike frame? My bike is a race bike so I don't need showroom finish that a 2 pac would give me. I want something reasonably economical but still fairly durable. I am going to sandblast the frame myself. I will use etch and some thick primer as well. Probably just a pressure can of etch due to the cost and some Septone acrylic primer, thinned sparingly as that gear is cheap at SCA, plus I want a thick coat of primer base.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I used that brand undercoat when I painted my Commodore 4 or 5 years ago.....The paint hasn't lifted or had any unusual paint problems.....So I'll leave it upto you

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I used that brand undercoat when I painted my Commodore 4 or 5 years ago.....The paint hasn't lifted or had any unusual paint problems.....So I'll leave it upto you

Yeah I have used Septone before and it is pretty decent. More not knowing if an enamel like this will be durable enough. I can layer it on pretty well as I will have a litre to play with.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
powder coat it :) A bit more prep work but a much more durable finish.....That said Ive painted frames in enamel before...using a brush :D sit the can of paint in hot to boiling water, it will self level as it cools and then drys ;) saves having to pull the bike down to every nut and bolt

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I would powder coat but that requires a complete tear down and full sandblast. I have to leave plastic bushes in place as they can no longer be bought. I can't sandblast right up to the bushes or they become damaged, like they did when I had a someone else blast the frame, never again, do my own sandblasting now. I have used Solver industrial enamel before and it was great, really durable. This Septone gear is a really good price so I'm just looking to use a cheaper alternative if one is available. I don't need to crem, da la crem job as the bike will only be brought out 6 times a year. The frame was painted in acrylic over 25 years ago and even that has been ok, it's just time to tidy things up as it is now fairly chipped as well as some surface rust on the swing arm.

I will gun the paint on rather than messing with a brush. But, thanks for the tip I have heard about warming enamel but this is the first time I have heard of someone who actually has done it with results.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Fair enough comment about bushes. What ones are irreplaceable? Have you tried places like 'the mount shop' with the dimensions?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Only ever bought genuine from Yamaha Pitmans or the States. Been a long time since I bought genuine parts but when I did everything was discontinued. Never knew there was an aftermarket option for things like swing-arm bushes. My bushes are still good so I won't be smashing them out just so I can powder coat.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the bike was anything more than a track bike I would definitely consider powder coat.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bloke at the Spectrum Auto Paint Supplies recommended acrylic. He said I could layer it up with some clear. Not sure if that would be any better than just laying on a few extra coats of black?? Cost of acrylic including clear was gonna be $100. I can 2 pac it for a $130 just need a stinker of a day as I don't have access to an oven. Days over 35 are few and far between over here.