Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oxy Sensor Problem

some_evil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Captiva Series II
Hi guys,
i have just had to replace my 4th oxygen sensor in my '93 Holden VR Commodore, and i am wondering if anyone on here knows of any possible reasons they are burning out on me?

I have had several mechanics look at it, they even pulled the computer out to see if it had any faults but he couldnt find anything wrong with it.

So does anyone know what could be causing these problems?

Thanks in advance.

-Cheers

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
i read somewhere that a K&N or Redline Filter could cause the o2 sensor to fizzle out a bit more often cos they contain oil within the filters, and that sumtimes lands on the o2 sensor, so if you have one of those filters, that could be the prob.
Cheers

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
Some octane boosters kill them,and stuff like carby cleaner.Make sure the labels say safe for oxygen sensors .Anything with lead in it will kill it.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Something definatly doesnt sound right. Oxy sensors are normally pretty good. The chance is that most of the VR/VS owners here would still have their original sensors in the car. Some sensors may have been sitting on the shelf before they are put in the car, and can fail alot sooner then they should, they can even come out of the box faulty. But if your car is burying that many, theres something not right in the car. When they get replaced, is it the same mechanic saying they need replacing? Or are you replacing them? Who is saying they are faulty? I tracked this down on google from what i think is an american site, from another person with this problem and solution:

I tracked that down to the kickdown linkage being assembled incorrectly when my head gaskets were replaced. At light pedal the transmission was sensing more throttle than it should have, so it waited longer and shifted harder. <http://www.bobblick.com/techref/projects/o2sensor/o2sensor.html>

Last edited: