Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oxy/Acetylene versus Oxy/LPG

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
As per the title.

I went to Total Tools looking for new hoses for the Oxy/Acet. equipment I inherited from Dad.
The hoses were cracked from age, they're older than me, so pretty ancient.

It's cheaper to buy new hoses, an LPG regulator and a bottle of Oxygen than a single bottle of Acetylene.

has anyone done it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've had it and still have the gear. Oxy LPG is great unless you need to fusion weld, it won't get hot enough for that. But it will work an ozy cutter, braze and heat. Does take longer to get something red than acetylene does.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
boilermaker welder here

LPG runs a lot cooler so takes longer but for home its fine. uses different tips etc so factor that in when making the change

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I've had it and still have the gear. Oxy LPG is great unless you need to fusion weld, it won't get hot enough for that. But it will work an ozy cutter, braze and heat. Does take longer to get something red than acetylene does.
Wont be fusion welding, have a MIG/TIG set up for that.

boilermaker welder here

LPG runs a lot cooler so takes longer but for home its fine. uses different tips etc so factor that in when making the change
The bloke at Total Tools told me the same thing, although my current tips should work for heating.
He showed me a cutting tip specific for LPG cutting.

I basically only want it as a heat source but might cut the odd bit of steel with it.
And changeover LPG bottles are available within walking distance of the workshop and are cheap...

Reactions: Lex

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Know of a few who use it at home and workplaces have started to also take it on.

From everything I've heard people are positive about it. The ease of changeover being a big part of it.
Although have also heard some older guys want to stick to oxy-acet at work for brazing copper together.

Would be curious to know how it would go for Brazing welds on steel.

I'd say go for it. See how you go.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Know of a few who use it at home and workplaces have started to also take it on.

From everything I've heard people are positive about it. The ease of changeover being a big part of it.
Although have also heard some older guys want to stick to oxy-acet at work for brazing copper together.

Would be curious to know how it would go for Brazing welds on steel.

I'd say go for it. See how you go.
brazing welds with filler on steel .. are easy peasy

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
as one with a welding cert from TAFE (gotten in the 80s at night school so I could weld up cars I was building)
I started out with an Oxy/Acet set at home.. CIG brand and a CIG stick (SMAW) welder too

then as $ permitted, a MIG and a TIG were added.

yeah.. then hoses went to powder on the gas set, then the Acet regulator died about then too
and
it was easier/cheaper to go to Oxy/LPG. LPG, I use with a regulator although some don't.

Sure Oxy/Acet is a tad hotter .. 3100° than Oxy/LPG 2800° but both will do manual brazing
and braze welding no problem. Heating for bending with LPG is actually the best way to do this.
why? as my tutors said (and I did not forget this ) -

Acetylene gets hotter but gives off less heat then PROPANE. Why..?
the thermal output difference !

- BTU's of Acetylene is approximately 1470 btu's per cubic foot.

- BTU's of Propane is approximately 2498 btu's per cubic foot.

So, LPG cuts fine albeit slower with the right tips, silver solders nicely as well and a bonus! .... you can hardface
cutting stuff .... axes, adzes etc and I found a large LPG bottle runs out about the same time as a D Oxy bottle

Final point.... ACETYLENE in a bottle is a BOMB. You are controlling that.. carefully! Never let an Acetylene
bottle fall over (if it does leave upright at least 90 mins before use) and never open it like you do an Oxy bottle

(which you open fully)
Never open acetylene cylinder valves more than 1 turn (1/4 to 1/2 is usually enough) and do it SLOWLY

And one final safety point, always use Flashback arrestors, even with Oxy/LPG!

the set up I have for Oxy/LPG was pictured in my previous post (on what did you do in the garage)
RH front of the pic near the compressor and KARCHER is my Oxy/LPG set up

20230611_085505_s.jpg

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride