Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Old Cameras

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Film is making a comeback.

Smarter Every Day on the tubes did a series on Kodak film, how it's made, how it's processed etc.

When we were cleaning up a few weeks ago we found a couple of canisters of film that has been shot but was never developed. One has to wonder if there would be any chance of them still been viable?

Hmmm... something to find out about.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Smarter Every Day on the tubes did a series on Kodak film, how it's made, how it's processed etc.

When we were cleaning up a few weeks ago we found a couple of canisters of film that has been shot but was never developed. One has to wonder if there would be any chance of them still been viable?

One of the photos
1702192755802.jpeg

Geeze! How long has that film been sitting there?

Last edited:

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Hang on to it juuuuuuuust a while longer.

Pentax are just about to release a new film camera lol. They have been flirting with this for a decade but it looks like it's gonna happen.

Pentax is weird, they do weird stuff. But that K1000 is such a good example of the non weird stuff that made them the powerhouse of the 70's and 80's.

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy

providing they were kept dry-ish and the canister still has its felt in tact (i.e didn't get to hot) it probably survived ok.

You are probably looking at roughly ~$30 these days to get c41 film developed (standard colour process of yesteryear)
Go get it sorted, might find some nice surprises :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah, been searching for some local places that process film. Will contact a shop tomorrow and see what they say. I'm sure they will have pics of my boys when little. Might be a nice surprise for the missus if something comes back.

They have been in their original canisters in the back of a draw for probably the best part of 15+ years

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Oooooh what a lottery! Ah it will be great if they survive, by the sounds of it you have a great chance.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
I was 11 or 12 when Dad taught my brother about photography with a K1000.

There is still something about only having 24 or maybe 36 shots on a roll. Is it something worthy of A picture then making sure all the settings are right, then waiting a week to see if that shot actually worked.

Taking photos of motorsports, family water skiing trips and wildlife going from the K1000 to the early digital cameras was very underwhelming, the poor quality and the delay between pressing the shutter and it taking the shot.

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
Yeah it's a different kind of experience for sure.

Me and my mates sometimes go full dork mode, we get small capacity memory cars. like 512meg, cover the LCD screens of our digital cameras with gaffa, then pretend we are in 1991 and take the ~30 or so pictures that fit on the tiny card. You really do try harder when resources are limited. We find we are much more selective over what we choose to photograph, and in most parts, are images are more interesting.

Do recommend.

And yeah agree the early consumer digital cameras were pretty difficult to work with against good film cameras. Ah they are much much better now though of course.

You all seen the flamin' Song A9iii thingy? Freaking 120 frames per second, It's effectively a movie camera, you then choose the frame you want to export from. It's freeking nuts.