Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil warning

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Loose clearance may require high volume, high pressure oil pump, and maybe a heavier oil

Your relief valve bypass in the oil pump may be stuck open a bit

My mechanic recommended me getting a Mellings 10296 high volume high pressure pump for my blown LS1 even though it still has a stock bottom end, 2 years later, with some drag racing, roll racing, and general thrashing she is good to go

The 10296 cost me around $350 IIRC

I would dump the oil and look for glitter

Then, look at oil pressure

I've been told the LS1 OEM pumps run pretty low at idle even with stock clearances

I would think if the O ring was pushed out at installation, or the screen on the pick up tube was blocked with sealer or something you would have minimal oil pressure everywhere in the rev range

Good luck, hopefully it's just the pump

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
cant see any pid but its just called ''engine oil pressure'' this was on a 2003 LS1 statesman same pressure sender on engine they all have so yours should have the data there
Mine is a 2002 VX SS, I'll have a look in the scanner on the weekend

Cheers

Teddy LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Th
Loose clearance may require high volume, high pressure oil pump, and maybe a heavier oil

Your relief valve bypass in the oil pump may be stuck open a bit

My mechanic recommended me getting a Mellings 10296 high volume high pressure pump for my blown LS1 even though it still has a stock bottom end, 2 years later, with some drag racing, roll racing, and general thrashing she is good to go

The 10296 cost me around $350 IIRC

I would dump the oil and look for glitter

Then, look at oil pressure

I've been told the LS1 OEM pumps run pretty low at idle even with stock clearances

I would think if the O ring was pushed out at installation, or the screen on the pick up tube was blocked with sealer or something you would have minimal oil pressure everywhere in the rev range

Good luck, hopefully it's just the pump
thanks mate

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
see what the oil pressure is first as it could even be the sensor playing up, if u can look at the data see how it looks should be reasonably steady and rise based on rpm, if u see it randomly dropping back causing the warning then it may be sensor, or if it gets low around the threshold of triggering the warning u could try a thicker oil 10-40 should be fine tho unless pump is getting tired

Teddy LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
see what the oil pressure is first as it could even be the sensor playing up, if u can look at the data see how it looks should be reasonably steady and rise based on rpm, if u see it randomly dropping back causing the warning then it may be sensor, or if it gets low around the threshold of triggering the warning u could try a thicker oil 10-40 should be fine tho unless pump is getting tired
Will do thanks. I will get back to you. Could wrongly plumbed vacuum/rocker cover vent cause this issue

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
no the oil is within its own pressure system and is different to the breathers, if the breathers are say drawing too much vacuum from the rocker cover it will draw more oil with it but that is after the pressure has dealt with the oil and its left the system and going over and cooling/lubricating the rockers and springs, also rocker covers shouldnt have vacuum to them only crank/valley should

Teddy LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
no the oil is within its own pressure system and is different to the breathers, if the breathers are say drawing too much vacuum from the rocker cover it will draw more oil with it but that is after the pressure has dealt with the oil and its left the system and going over and cooling/lubricating the rockers and springs, also rocker covers shouldnt have vacuum to them only crank/valley should
Ok so my passenger one is blanked off that's ok is it or should I leave it open

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
passenger side is usually blanked off, or if u wanted to put it to intake with the other rocker cover before TB it wouldnt hurt, just dont put manifold vacuum to them

Teddy LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Ok so my passenger one is blanked off that's ok is it or should I leave it open
Ok I will have to leave it blanked. My driver's side only has on vent pipe. I have seen the setup where the join together but mine is different