Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Niggling issues - creaky drivers seat and wind noise from doors

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
I have a couple of minor issues in my VE I’d like to see if you experts out there have simple fixes for!

I don’t notice these issues when I’m alone in the car because the stereo is always up, but when I have passengers in the car I always receive feedback that:

1) My drivers seat is squeaky. When cornering or moving around my seat makes creaky noises. It’s difficult to tell exactly where from. What’s the best course of action here, could it need some lubrication? Or possibly something needs tightening? Or is it just a matter that it’s worn and there’s nothing I can do about it?

It is an 08’ model with 185k on it. So far from a new car.

2) Wind noise from passenger doors.
I don’t notice it so bad from my drivers seat, but on the passenger side front and back seats the passengers complain of hearing wind, similar to a window being cracked open.
The windows of course are shut. The door rubbers also appear in good condition with no tears or flat spots, though could have lost some of their ‘spring’ I suppose.

Any advice on what I can do here?

Any help is much appreciated.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim

Last edited:

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
1) lose a bit of weight
2) slow down

LOL

but really, your seat might be a bit boken. Disconnect battery and wait 30 mins. Unhook air bag sensor connections, remove seat from car and give it a good clean, grease and check for broken spot welds. You might have to change it out. The base section is easy to remove and switch out fabric and cushion. I haven't attempted the seat back.

After doing ALL that you might find that the creak is caused by flexing due to one of the seat rails not locking its ratchet. Clean the rails, a coin might be in there.

You should check that the rubber/foam seals around the mirror, where it connects to the door are still intact. Just buy some roof silicone and fill up that gap.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
There is a fix for the seat issue.....IIRC it was an application of some form of grease.....have a search and you should find it.

Freddy Kruger

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SS UTE
Yeah I also have a squeaky seat in my SS. I found lowering the seat all the way down shut it up.

I also have the wind noise issue. The drivers door has a little noise up the top, but on the passenger side i think the trim that goes down the side of the windscreen doesnt sit properly and whistles...

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Yeah I also have a squeaky seat in my SS. I found lowering the seat all the way down shut it up.

I also have the wind noise issue. The drivers door has a little noise up the top, but on the passenger side i think the trim that goes down the side of the windscreen doesnt sit properly and whistles...

Lowered the seat down and the noise is all gone, thanks!!

Didn’t realise it wasn’t all the way down already, wife must have adjusted it.