Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Moderator

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
really depends....
I have a mate who runs (ran actually until he retired sold the business 2 3 years ago) a limo hire company ( as in weddings, airport runs etc)
and he pretty much ran long wheel base Holden / HSV vehciles in his fleet .. 7-8 from memory. His own car (he drove too)
was always top of the range and the last one...one of the last HSV Granges built did just under 600,000 kms in the 3 years he had it.
Had the original engine, trans and diff in it too...

Problems.. zilch! Service it very 10,000 km (none of this annual or 15,000km crap) and replace brakes and tyres when needed.
Think the suspension (normal stuf plus bushes) got done at 300-350,000 (Granges are not light)
So yeah it depends..
Yep, servicing the car does play a big role in longevity though Commodores are pretty good, at least engine wise... Hearing Camiras or Craptivas running to that mileage is quite rare...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Didn't petrol powered Craptivas have the V6 Commodore engine and gearbox?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
really depends....
I have a mate who runs (ran actually until he retired sold the business 2 3 years ago) a limo hire company ( as in weddings, airport runs etc)
and he pretty much ran long wheel base Holden / HSV vehciles in his fleet .. 7-8 from memory. His own car (he drove too)
was always top of the range and the last one...one of the last HSV Granges built did just under 600,000 kms in the 3 years he had it.
Had the original engine, trans and diff in it too...

Problems.. zilch! Service it very 10,000 km (none of this annual or 15,000km crap) and replace brakes and tyres when needed.
Think the suspension (normal stuf plus bushes) got done at 300-350,000 (Granges are not light)
So yeah it depends..

That‘s a service every 2 1/2 weeks!

Reactions: Lex

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Just like Highway Patrol cars.

200,000 km per year is about 550 km per day (each and everyday). At 100 km/hr that’s 5 1/2 hours driving - everyday. At an average speed of 50 km/hr that’d equate to 11 hours per day (everyday)!

It’d hardly ever have time to cool down! I have heard of taxis achieving incredible engine mileage and it’s often put down to them being warm most of the time, so a lack of heating and cooling cycles. Definitely impressive nonetheless.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^^ yup.

Cold starts and not getting up to temp is hard on engines and transmissions.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
200,000 km per year is about 550 km per day (each and everyday). At 100 km/hr that’s 5 1/2 hours driving - everyday. At an average speed of 50 km/hr that’d equate to 11 hours per day (everyday)!

It’d hardly ever have time to cool down! I have heard of taxis achieving incredible engine mileage and it’s often put down to them being warm most of the time, so a lack of heating and cooling cycles. Definitely impressive nonetheless.
its 74km from Cranbourne to Tulla or 61km from Scoresby ONE WAY ( say 150 and 120km return each trip) and pretty much all freeway travel so time permits...
but first you have to get there (he lives in Frankston) to pick up your pax

Some days he would do pickups at 0400 for those on the first flight to Brisbane at 0605am
then collect passengers from a Southbank hotel and back to the airport (50kms) then come and get me
at home ... 39kms to Tulla and 78kms return home at Frankston

He would have breakfast in Albert PArk or Sth Melbourne at 0930 having done 250-300kms already
( I would sometimes join him if I was on an 11.30-12 oclock flight)

easy.. lots of kms to earn $ on too :)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Melton HWP cars were expected to do 5-600km per shift, so at least 1000km per day. They never cooled down.
Usually serviced every 10 days, and retired at 60,000kms. Some actually lasted 3 months before retirement.