Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need some help

dutchysute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu S II
i got a friend who wants to replace the door on her vp wagon.
but were having problems finding info on how to take the door off. can anyone give me instructions on how to do it?

also the lock on the door. how do we put the original lock from the broken door into the new one?
can anyone help me with these? thanks :)

lepht93

Well, you're wrong.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
depends on which door youre talking about (back/front).
Basically, open door, disconnect the central locking wiring by removing the plug at the bottom of the door and unclipping the switch. Then, spray each hinge with WD-40 and wait a while, you can either use the tool for it, or as i used, pliers and a hammer. Open the door (if its the back door, open the front door and access the pins thru the gap, then you dont have to worry about the door dropping) to access the hinge pins, tap out the centre one first, then (I did top pin first) tap the top pin out by grasping the bottom of the pin with the pliers and whacking the pliers with the hammer until it starts to slide out, the bottom pin is the same, but tap up. Make sure if the door is open, someone is standing by to grab it because if it bends, you risk screwing the hinges. I found that mine were so tight, that id first tap it in a bit, then tap it out, probably because it loosened crap built up on the hinge.
as for the door locks, there is a whole mechanism inside, i havent attempted it though, sorry :(

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
The locks are part of the handles just take off all the rods attached to the interior handle and lock. Then you should see a clip going lengthwise in the middle it should just slide out leaving the handle to be removed and replaced with the new one with the lock that you want on it

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
I searched my posts for disassembly and reassembly of door lock stuff:

Look here for remote stuff:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vn-vp-holden-commodore-1988-1993/147119-remote-vp-commodore.html

and here's how to play with your locks: I cut and pasted this so use whats right for you.
I've posted this a few times for central locking problems, the disassembly and reassembly will apply to your problem, just ignore what don't apply to you.
What usually goes wrong with mechanical locks is wear and lack of lubrication, particularly in the tumbler area (where the key goes) This can be disassembled (keep the pins in strict order) and cleaned with metho or you can spray it intact with a cleaner that contains a dry lube such as for fishing reels and zips. You don't want to use sticky/greasy lubes on the tumblers as the pins need to move freely. Sticking pins is usually the mechanical problem.

To disassemble door: door trims off (remove plugs covering screws in arm rest, screw under door handle, pop out lock inner orange bit, pop trim loose from bottom and once clippy things are loose push whole trim up out of window channel) and cut inner plastic shield over lock area on 3 sides, (big enough to get your hand in) peel it back undo 3 star drive screws from end of door (allen key works ok) unplug solenoidy thing, unclip linkage, remove lock assembly and clean all linkages and moving parts. Solenoidy thing attaches with a couple of screws, clean plug and connector with metho if they're dirty, plug solenoid in before reassembly and test. Sometimes this works real well, sometimes the solenoid man is tired and it's time for a trip to the wreckers. Unfortunately you may not be able to say which before it's been tested for a few weeks.... After a bit of practice it doesn't take more than 15-20 minutes per door. First door probably more like an hour. take the opportunity to clean window bottom where you can't usually reach and vac fuzzy trim edge that sits against window. Getting trims back on, push into window channel first, leave trim tilted out while you get clippy men lined up and start pushing in from top and line up lower down as you go. You'll have to lie on the ground looking up into the gap to line up the clips. have fun!

Last edited:

vsuterussamuel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute
hey i am currently doing my sound system and i cant take the whole door trim off because i cant get the orange bit out (the lock mechanism bit)... i got underneath it on both sides and pulled as hard as i could and it wouldn't come out and i snapped a bit of the orange off... its annoying the shits outa me how do you do it exactly :S