Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need opinions on my vs

vnsupreme

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s2 wagon, vh sl (project)
hi guys i recently got a 97 vs commodore and it runs and drives like a dream and the interior is not bad but... the body and paint are disgraceful, i was thinking of parking it and fix and respray it, but as i had to sell all my gear have to buy everything from scratch, i have been thinking lately that it would be a hell of allot cheaper to buy a rolling shell with a straight body and nice paint and just transfer the good **** out of mine into the shell, what are your opinions and also what would i need to do when it would be time to put it on the road when it comes to vicroads etc, as i want to do the engine transfer myself. thanks in advance.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Would be butt loads cheaper to buy a good shell, and just notify vic roads of the engine change (make sure engine is newer than chasis), shouldn't be an issue its all standard equipment really just a different number and a donation.... Hahaha

In saying that I fixed up an old gc8 wrx once every panel was dinged replaced all panels with second handies bogged everything like no tomorrow and re sprayed all myself and it cost like $700 but you could probably get a decent shell with say a blown engine and **** for $1000

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Can't you can walk into VicRoads and just change the engine number (if they even care)?

Older same model engine into newer same model chassis isn't really an issue. It's only when you start doing stuff that requires engineering (engine conversions etc...) that it becomes a problem, but because all the EGR, pollution gear, and ADRs are the same it shouldn't be an issue. Ask maybe. Just make sure you get a VS shell.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You'd be much better off just selling the one you've got, and put an extra few hundred into buying another one in better condition. But instead of buying a commodore, get a calais or statesman

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Yeah I would say have a good look through the classifieds, gumtree, whatever. There are lots of VS's for sale that are relativly cheap. That will give you the best idea on the economics.

You havn't said what your budget is like, but if you can afford a good runner with a mint body, while keeping yours, then just transfer the good stuff, and maybe wreck out the rest.

You would really only want to paint yours if the body is straight and rust free, assuming you can do a great job of it.

Of course if you enjoy working on cars, like a hobby type thing, then go your hardest I guess.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you are able to respray a car yourself, respray it....I recently (6 months ago) did a complete colour change on my VC commodore....It cost me $500 in acrylic....IMA, the paint I bought was mismatch paint that set me back $99 for 4 litres....I still have 1 litre left too....so food for thought:)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If you've never sprayed before, painting a whole car will be quite a challenge. Plus, all the equipment and paint materials aren't all that cheap.

I wouldn't spray acrylic since it doesn't stand up to weather well, and it needs to be polished.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
If it's mechanicaly sound and doesn't need a cent spent, keep it, drive it, save your money. Keep an eye on local classifieds Facebook buy swap, gumtree ebay etc, a vs with a good body that needs mechanical work will pop up cheap eventually. Depends too on your area, if you're in a remote area then opportunitys are limited, if you're in a built up area something will come along. Or do what I do. Save up a bit of money, buy damaged cars keep a few of the goodys and sell the rest. Build a half decent rig on a budget.

Last edited:

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
another alternative if the rear quarter panels and roof are ok or fixable.. is replace all the other panels with mint ones painting as you go....

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
not really worth spraying a standard commo.
or changing the bits over,

it is pretty easy tho.
maybe you could find a Calais shell with good leather and all the Calais options for 1000ish and just swap the motor in.
v6 motor swap can be done in a day easy