Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need help reading mechanic's handwriting ;)

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Hey all,

My V6 VX has been leaking oil and we took it to a mechanic who wrote (amongst other stuff needing doing) something that looks like "Valhy gasket", which I have assumed he meant "valve gasket", meaning "rocker cover seal". He's quoted 3.5 hours labour and $123 for the gasket, however I can get a rocker cover seal for $12.50 and it seems unlikely to take 3.5 hours to replace it. So, without having looked at the car myself since the inspection (the wife has gone away for a fortnight so I can't even look at it now), I am trying to determine if he actually means something else.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
He is probably refering to the Valley Cover gasket or inlet manifold gasket. Do a search for Valley Cover Gasket I would imagine there would be a few threads on it, pretty common problem.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Ahhh, of course, thanks :) that makes a bit more sense!

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Ok, so I'm going through the manual and double-checking everything that needs to be done.

Can anyone give me some important points to remember, and maybe some tips that the workshop manual doesn't elaborate on?