Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VS III Maloo

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
In the last few weeks a bit has been happening with the ute. I sent it to the panel beaters and got the front end resprayed and therefore unfortunately had to buy new stickers for it. Oh well, at least it looks good now!

I also upgraded the sound system which was a massive effort. It includes:

Fusion powerplant splits which I managed to buy new for $140! The required extensive customising of the speaker pods and then using spacers...definitely worth it with the sound quality though! I also ran the wires through the factory wiring loom boot between the car and the door.
Pioneer DEH-5250SD head unit with iPod cable fed through the dash into the glovebox to keep visible wiring minimal
Sony Xplod XM-405EQX Amp under the passenger seat
Sony Xplod XS-L1230 12" sub in a custom sub box in the long range fuel tank cavity in the tray.

Like I said, the sound system was a massive effort due to space restrictions and fiddly things from making the output coax cables fit in behind the head unit, to removing the tub liner to get the sub in. But the sound improvement was worth it.

Here are a few pictures of the ute when I got it back from the panel beaters:

DSC_0297_zps1691f27c.jpg

DSC_0298_zps56d90c1f.jpg

IMG_5945_zpsa89d9890.jpg

IMG_5946_zpse6e2bb8b.jpg

Thought I'd chuck in a few of the interior as well:

IMG_5941_zps78e2ab06.jpg

IMG_5939_zps63f7153c.jpg

To get the size of the sub box, out came the tub liner:

DSC_0258_zpsb3e41bf8.jpg

DSC_0261_zps6a60019d.jpg

It was in pretty good condition under there

DSC_0263_zps09b26af9.jpg

DSC_0265_zps51fb66f1.jpg

Here is the side view template of the sub box which I made sure just fit in the cavity:

IMG_5643_zps4c0ab427.jpg

I made it this way because I have made one before and left the service holes open for the sound however you get a whole lot of fuel smell this way. So I designed it so the speaker would be fully enclosed and then I would port the box into the cab; effectively sealing it off and making the sub an extension of the cab to eliminate the smell. This decision also made making the box so so much harder due to the tight dimensional tolerances. You will see what I mean in the next photos:

DSC_0343_zpse7c19af9.jpg

DSC_0346_zpsd83fa0da.jpg

DSC_0347_zps30f8c59a.jpg

Took the ute to the Deni ute muster last weekend and put the sound system through its paces. It's nice and loud and also very clear which is what I was looking for. Not loud outside the car though which is what you get for having the sub tucked away like that.

That's about it for now.

Last edited:

shinc

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE II SV6 Sportwagon
I like the old maloos. Because unlike the ve/vfs. Not every bastard has one...

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
I've put some new wheels on the ute now and I am stoked with them. Got them for a good price and they came with near new tyres. They are Simmons copies called MC Racing wheels and the are 20x8" fronts and 20x9.5" rears which are huge and fill every last millimetre of the guards out. I was sceptical on them fitting especially this size rear rim on the back of a VS ute but they just fit...kinda. I've notice a bit of rubbing on the inside of the wheel well when the rear axle twists on uneven sections of the road but nothing major. I've also rolled the lip around the outside of the guards and they just tuck under there when the suspension compresses.

IMG_5967_zps5d6abe16.jpg

IMG_5972_zps5025a22a.jpg

IMG_5971_zps30c6e058.jpg

As you can see there is a healthy amount of dish at the back which I love. The next photo shows how much room for error there is with these big puppies.

IMG_5973_zps21fd5847.jpg

d8d95024_9ca0_4a04_91ec_8c59ee9e203a_zpsa292ba26.jpg

The slightly bigger rolling diameter gives me a little bit more ground clearance which is not a bad thing. Also, don't worry; I'm keeping the original rims.

Safe to say I'll be avoiding gutters even more now though and definitely not letting anyone else drive.

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Love it mate, Looking at your interior pics though you need a leather steering wheel, an HSV deserves better :)

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Haha I hadn't even thought of that. Did they come out with leather steering wheels? If so it could be on the cards...they're not cheap though.
I'd also like an original leather gear knob one day but the VY one looks pretty good at the moment. I've just gotta get the boot fitted properly onto it as you can see.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Haha I hadn't even thought of that. Did they come out with leather steering wheels? .

I believe so:
p96590_large%2B1999_holden_maloo%2Binterior_view.jpg

Most just replace them with standard wheels when the leather splits (due to not looking after it).

Mine had a factory leather wheel that had been replaced with a standard one too, I managed to track down a senator wheel for $85, they are out there.

You can also get your current one retrimmed to pretty much the same style/standard for around $250 I think.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
such a good looking ride, the new shoes suit this to a T.

ur post#1 photos, mate that is an awesome spot for kicking back after a macca's run :) pity the roads turn to **** after crossing over into Vic.