Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MP3 through standard sound system

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Hi Phreddy, I was just reading up on what you can do with the VY deck, so I sent you a little PM and e-mail to get more information. I'm interested in doing something with my stock deck without changing the look of it. Also wouldn't mind some red interior LED lights... lol ;)

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Mine sounds cr?p

Hi Guys, Im from Melbourne and would love any info regarding the following! How do you run Amps without RCA Leads?? I have tried it with mine but the sound is well lets just say not real flash! although my amp has high freq input It is well under expectations. I have an Audioline 150w RMS x2 ch amp, Bridged to a sub box with two 12" 400w Audioline subs! Using wires from rear door speakers to supply amp with tunes! Amp has built in crossover for low freq only which I have selected. Sounds fine until I turn it up for that great song and it always dissapoints!!:wax: :wax:

Stab it and Steer!!

Phreddy said:
No worries!

Would you be running the 6x9s from the head unit amps, or an external amp?

The speakers will just drop straight into the parcel shelf once you pop the punch-outs from the panel. (you'll also have to remove the interior trim on the parcel shelf too) Grilles which go into the parcel shelf trim are available from Holden, but look elsewhere too - I got mine from eBay for less than half of what Holden were charging. I had to cut the holes in the trim to fit the grilles, but that wasn't too difficult.

As far as wiring, I believe there are wires run to there but I've not identified them. (my shelf speakers run amp'ed) If you are running the 6x9s off the head unit though, you'll need to disconnect the back door speakers, otherwise there will be too much load on the internal amps and they might fail.

Cheerz!

Last edited:

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
chris porter said:
Hi Guys, Im from Melbourne and would love any info regarding the following! How do you run Amps without RCA Leads?? I have tried it with mine but the sound is well lets just say not real flash! although my amp has high freq input It is well under expectations. I have an Audioline 150w RMS x2 ch amp, Bridged to a sub box with two 12" 400w Audioline subs! Using wires from rear door speakers to supply amp with tunes! Amp has built in crossover for low freq only which I have selected. Sounds fine until I turn it up for that great song and it always dissapoints!!:wax: :wax:

Stab it and Steer!!

Running amps without RCA's will always give inferior sound quality. The proper way to do it is to use the low level (RCA) inputs.

However, if you really want to do it that way, I'd suggest you go to an audio shop and get some high-low converters. They basically convert speaker wires to RCA cable.

If you want to do it properly, you should get your head unit modified by Phreddy so it has low-level outputs. Do a search, there's heaps of info here on Phreddy's low-level output mod for VY head units. :thumbsup:

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
thanks heaps for your info. I will give it a look.
Cheers.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

chucky79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vuII ss ute
I would like to listen to an mp3 player in my acclaim through the sound system.
Have tried one of the FM senders and found it pretty average.
I have heard that there are kits that you can buy/make to plug mp3 through the mobile phone wiring in the car, using the GM connector.

Has anyone used these and if so how good are they, where can I get one - or the recipe for making one?
Thanks in anticipation!

DUDE, GO TO JAYCAR AND GET A FM MODULATOR, PART NO. CM3780.
SOUND QUALITY IS HEAPS BETTER THAN A FM TRANSMITTER AND IS EASY TO INSTALL. MINE IS ON A SINGLE DISK EUROVOX DECK, FROM VUII SS.
80 BUCKS AND YOU CAN PLUG IPOD 3.5MM JACK STRAIGHT INTOIPOD.
GOOD LUCK.

kovini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Exec. Wagon
just a quick1 - im looking for an input mod for a VX eurovox single disk. any info (and not crappy fm modulators!)would be greatly appreciated, before matters are taken into myown hands....... (ie: utter disater) Also, my remote buttons keep stopping working (not the clockspring). any ideas? Ta.

Tempest

Reaction score
Hey Phreddy,

Im interested in getting a AUX into a VY standard H/U. Pm sent to you just a minuite ago.

Also are the blue display LEDs hard to install?

Tempest

Reaction score
Hey,

One more quick thing, Phreddy, you mentioned your shelf speakers run amp'ed. Do you use your low-level outputs that you put on the headunit your self, or something else? But if the only signal coming into the amp is low-level, how do the 6x9's handle it as there not subs and use the entire freq range?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Hey,

One more quick thing, Phreddy, you mentioned your shelf speakers run amp'ed. Do you use your low-level outputs that you put on the headunit your self, or something else? But if the only signal coming into the amp is low-level, how do the 6x9's handle it as there not subs and use the entire freq range?

I'm not sure if Phreddy has answered your PM, but he's out of action for a while. His business went bust and he's basically in the process of getting a job and getting back on his feet. So I'm not sure he can do any mods any time soon. Still, it's worth a try.

Also to answer your question above, yes he did run his 6x9's amped. I think you're getting confused with the term "low-level outputs". This basically just means RCA outputs instead of speaker wire outputs. It has nothing to do with low frequencies - the outputs are full range. Hope that helps! :thumbsup: