Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mod Plate needed for turbo conversion?

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
So in less than 2 weeks I'll be boosting it up with Lazza and Nath, but since my engine is series 2 (bought it N/A, drum rear etc), can I just stop in at the DoT and tell them that the "guy removed his turbo gear to sell the car when I got it & I just want to put all the stock gear back on", or would I still need to get a mod plate and all that jazz (which I couldn't I guess since it has drums on the rear) cos' I don't want to drive away after doing the conversion, get hit by another car, and have void insurance etc, especially since i'm in the process of getting accepted into the QPS Academy.

So, more clearly I guess, do you need a mod plate for a na to vlt conversion even if the VL's came out with factory turbos (since my block is series 2 anyway)? I've heard mixed responses, some people say auto to manual is ok, whereas turbo isn't, then others say turbo is okay etc. I just want it legally registered and insured, even if it means a higher premium.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
mod plate is fairly cheap I would do it if needed

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Yeah just rung Qld Transport & they said I'd need one, and I rung a guy who does tham near work and he said the system is changing, but if I bring the turbo gear into the store (not fitted to the car) he can look it over and do it then? Does that sound right? I assumed they stamped the plates after it's been installed. He seems to believe that you don't need disc brakes on the rear to get plated (but obviously it's safer with them).

I'll take my gear to him tomorrow and see what he has to say. Better safe than sorry, I can't afford any fines/defects lol.

Cheers Munz