Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Minor Problems

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
hello

i just got a few minor problems with my vk i wanna fix just need to know how!!!!

windscreen whipers jolt when windscreen wet or dry

my lights are really dim and when i turn them on you can see tree branches 6 foot in the air. i've check the globe and there all fine

i've got an oil leak, is the front seal cronic to spilting or cracking? cause thats the area in it coming from

power steering makes a really bad grinding sound

dashlights don't work (around the speedo and all other gauges)

electric boot opener doesn't work

i thought this would be the best way of asking instead of all single posts (damn y is it me always posting, never answering)

cheers

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
QUOTE (VK_KICK_ASS @ Dec 5 2003, 11:04 PM) hi
>> Im just adding some rambling comments to your post..

hello

i just got a few minor problems with my vk i wanna fix just need to know how!!!!

windscreen whipers jolt when windscreen wet or dry
Dunno, worn motors or arm brushes?

my lights are really dim and when i turn them on you can see tree branches 6 foot in the air. i've check the globe and there all fine
try putting in new globes (blue light aren't bad value) and make sure they are the same wattage as your old ones, otherwise check your wiring isn't relaly old and worn, check earthing points are secure and clean & replace fuses.

i've got an oil leak, is the front seal cronic to spilting or cracking? cause thats the area in it coming from
in a VK by now, you'd have some sort of oil leak, so don't worry too much. These can be fixed easier than most engines.

power steering makes a really bad grinding sound
pump is either low on fluid, needs to be bled or is on the way out. check them in that order... if the fluid is browny and smells burnt then pull the small hose pipe from the bottom of the resevoir to drain it, lift up the front wheels so there is no resistance, and do some turns till you drain most of the fluid. Add new fluid to resovoir and keep steering back and forth - full locks. Then check level and keep going until the level stays accurate.
Unjack the front wheels and take it for a drive.. if it the right level after the drive and stills whines then the pump is fucked.

dashlights don't work (around the speedo and all other gauges)
Pull the console out (look for screws) and replace the globes behind the speedo unit. They are easy to get to and easy to replace, they are the turn-n-screw type. They are also easily avaiable, so its an easy job! Change them all if you want cause they'll be brighter than the ones that are there.
If you have some burnt out tracks on the back then either replace the whole circuit panel (dont bother getting a new dash) or do some home-made wiring splicing.

electric boot opener doesn't work
check the release and button works. this could be a few things.

i thought this would be the best way of asking instead of all single posts (damn y is it me always posting, never answering)

cheers

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
maniac has given you a good start point there.maybe wipers could be loose on the shaft,try tightening them arm from motor and nut on the shaft that the windscreen wiper is connected to ,ie pivot point take off small end cover plate and tighten nut holding wiper arm on,, lights dull ,could need realignment ,pointing too high,reflectors in head lights could be dull,dirty ,and check earth if when motor is reved and lights brighten this would be an earthing problem,,oil leak if its not too bad try sticking a can of wynns or bardhall engine tonic it stops minor leaks pretty well if you dont want to go to the trouble of fixing seal,,electric boot doesnt work ,maniac has covered this if you cant get it working,,,use a key.. vk,s are getting on a bit now so unless you want to spend a lot of cash you might have to live with a few small problems
cheers fergi

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
ok, windscreen wiper's jolt on windscreen, here you go, replace the wiper blades, they get old and go hard, loose the ability to bend with the windscreen shape, and simply jump across the face of windscreen

powersteering is whining, it could be 1 of 2 things,

1. pump is knackered, i wouldnt bother trying to fix a powersteering pump, just go and get a new one,
2. put oil in the bloody thing, probably low on oil you will find filling it up will help it in a huge way.

light's dull, well, here's the delema, if your light's are turned on then it's a good thing. if they are dull, i wouldnt worry to much, check your alternator is actualy putting out proper voltage, if they alternator voltage reg is on it's way out it tents to affect the headlight's first. if's either that, or you have the wrong type of headlight's in there, e.g. wattage to low. check you have a good earth there also, each light is earthed to the body at some point, make sure they are earthed individualy, and not shearing a earth, if they are shareing, that will lower the amount of power being supplied, (dont ask, trust me, im not gonna explain, it would take to long)

oil leak, im sorry i cant help you there, i would suggest any of the reply's the other member's have put in regards to that topic, (they know their ****)

dash light's dont work? what else isnt working in your car cabin? i find it a bit strange that all the light's arnt working, there is more than just one in the pannel. do you have a interior light working? does your hazzards work? let me know what else isnt working

push button not working for boot, leave that one with me, if it's what i think it might be, then it's no problem. please reply to the question i posted about what else in your cabin isnt working electricaly, (some stuipd auto sparks will put the boot release onto the interior light circuit, and that causes problems) it might be relelated

hope this helps you in some way

cheers
garth

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
the only things that don't work are my radio, left door when you open it light doesn't click on right side does and thats it if i think of anything later i will let you know.

cheers

O

oldn64

I would check you dimmer switch and your fuses first. These are the simplest for you dash issues, secondly before removing the dash make sure the dash plug is connected at the back of the dash, i have seen a few with this issue.

Cheers