Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Middy Cruiser

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
Vehicle
1986 BJ73 Mid Wheel Base Landcruiser.

Engine
3.4L 4 cylinder Non turbo diesel

Gearbox
5 Speed Manual

Suspension
Leaf springs, 2inch lift, has bags in it to stiffen it up if towing

Brakes
not sure, assume drums all round

Exhaust
standard

Wheels

Cheese cutters

Stereo
Old phillips head unit, and the speakers are actually pretty decent sound.

Modifications
Bull bar
Winch (12000 pound ironman)
UHF 40 Channel (about 3 other types of radios that will go too)
Crappy Hella spotties on the bar and 2 up top
Carry all on top with ply on it for a flat surface
Safari Snorkel
A PA SYSTEM! Has a proper microphone so you can be driving along and abuse people.
Drawers and shelfs in back
Fridge and slide.
Air Compressor x2, one for the bags and one for pumping tyres, has fittings in rear and front bars for the hose.
65L main tank, 135L sub tank - **** will get expensive (but actually is pretty good on fuel when cruising at about 90kph)

Future Plans
-Some decent muddies/AT's that aren't bloody narrow.
-Got to rip the shelf out so we can move the seats back a bit.
-Hate the look of the massive bullbar, will try get an ARB bar on ebay cheap.
-Possibly Lockers, will see how she goes in the bush.
-Work light out the back

Images Will be out bush in 2 weeks so Action shots will be comming.

Attachments

• 18012013267.jpg
    18012013267.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 348
  • 18012013268.jpg
    18012013268.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 341
  • 18012013269.jpg
    18012013269.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 355
  • 18012013270.jpg
    18012013270.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 355
  • 18012013271.jpg
    18012013271.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 363
  • 18012013272.jpg
    18012013272.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 347

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
Best bit is that its RED!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDD!!!

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
Where you going to take it on its maiden bash?

It will be in the high country, Originally we were starting off at licola, through to wonangatta and dargo over 4 days, but due to the fires I think the bloke organising the trip has revised it so i'm unsure the exact route but it will still be in the high country somewhere.

Yesterday we gave it a clean, tidied up wires in the engine bay and ran a wire to the back for a work light. Just need to get/make a bracket which bolts behind the spare wheel to hold the light.

Also looking at an Ironman Fridge due to the people we bought it off wanting to keep the fridge in it (it was their deceased dads) although they are kind enough to let us use it for our 4by trip in 2 weeks!

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
Over past few days we did the seals in the front diff done and the transfer case. All ready to get going with some 4wding next weekend, Pics will come!

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
put a kaymar bracket onto the spare wheel which holds a fully extendable and rotatable light on top.

t66tj6.jpg

24gqcnc.jpg

High country on thursday morning!

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
Alright, so went to the high country on thursday-sunday. Group was 9 vehicles and about 20 people, we had the middy, 80 series, ford maverick, toyota hilux x 2, 4 runner, old sahara landcruiser (leading), Gu Patrol massive lift and the navara.

Day 1 We started at moe and made our way to Briagalong where we started our 4x4ing, we had quite a few steep ascents but no downhill work. day one ended at horseyard flat (not a bad camp ground but not the best); Issues on day 1, 4 runner overheating (was fine rest of weekend) and the maverick not being able to use petrol underload/uphill gas worked fine though.

Day 2 we left horseyard and headed for the pinnacles which is 1500m up, It started to snow while we were up there in the middle of summer! Awesome views up there just freezing cold. From the pinnacles we descended down Billy goats bluff track which is well renowned, was awesome fun and we all did it without hassle. Following Billy Goats we headed down Hernes Spur which was truely way more gnarly than Billy Goats, It was steep and pretty rough in some sections, but in low first we all just cruised over it all. We ended up camping out at Wonangatta station which is a lovely spot but I didn't get any pictures.

Day 3 started off with us having a look at the hardest track in the high country which is behind Wonangatta station. It's name is the Widow Maker and the story goes a bloke tried the hill and got a fair way up (but it gets unbelievably steep) when he got his wife to get out of the car while he tried turning around or going further (can't remember) anyway he ended up rolling down the hill and over his wife killing her. So the decision here was just to look and definitely not attempt it, The day started off pretty good nothing too hard, then we came across a hill witch had the bulldozer over it recently and one of the pinches was just this loose dust, I ended up bogged and had to winch myself out (the hill was atleast 35degrees too) the skinny muddies really did just dig in over this crap. Only one other car got stuck there and it was later found the two cars that got stuck don't have rear lockers or a slippery diff which really helps. After this it was a cruisy day a really good downhill section which was rough and narrow and then we camped at Talbotville. This was the best camp spot due to the warm weather and a swimming hole which had about 12 of us in it sinking cans for over an hour!

day 4 we packed up and cruised into dargo for a counter meal!

Pics; Will add later and others when people send them through.

Parked up at the pinacles, middy, dads hilux and the old sahara leading the trip. and the patrol in the next.
1zx00ud.jpg

s4cgsm.jpg

Views from up at the pinacles
dbnxgw.jpg

2bnt5y.jpg

Fire lookout ontop of pinacles; this is where is snowed a bit.
2zfva7r.jpg

Dargo from fire lookout.
9rr3bb.jpg

Going down billy goats, realised while taking this photo I really needed 2 hands on the wheel haha
14k8rc0.jpg

A little pinch going down billy goats (we were stopping just over this, patrol is on it in the next one)
2hmouc5.jpg

10f293s.jpg

Blokes comming down a part of billy goats.
24w59w1.jpg

2q80sy0.jpg

mates lux
ay52h.jpg

Few after me comming up to the helipad on Billy goats. (was a steep climb with the last 15 meters almost like steep steps, some people got wheels in the air.
95vuk8.jpg

28rfui9.jpg

2gui70o.jpg

21al65u.jpg

20f6tdj.jpg

1zznjhw.jpg

4q0uf7.jpg

and parked on the helipad.
2iqo02r.jpg

A river.
16a9vgl.jpg

A random hut that is pretty bloody nice.
23izfw3.jpg

14wswvl.jpg

apaalv.jpg

River crossing after hut.
29bzyp5.jpg

vfifch.jpg

1zcgzyd.jpg

1237j2x.jpg

2n6em29.jpg

264h0dv.jpg

mi328n.jpg

209t4za.jpg

34y69vt.jpg

29cmm35.jpg

2zs2yz7.jpg

23rmgky.jpg

Part of hernes spur, not even the steepest part.
2e2mge0.jpg

34or0wi.jpg

rsyl4i.jpg

River at the end of hernes (wonangatta river i think it was)
1z73bsw.jpg

141ips0.jpg

And yeah I kinda only took pics of day 1 and day 2, so i'll wait to get some off others!

Last edited:

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
little update, skinny muddies are off... have some coopers A/Ts on it now, in winter will use the crappy muddies (really need decent muddies too though) no pic's because they are just tires and nothing special haha