Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

M/B- PSU question

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
M/B-- PSU question

Hey,
Hopeing someone can help me out here. I went and bought all the parts for my first pc im building here,

Just need to know my motherboard has both 24pin and 8pin power sockets on it. Although the cheap PSU that came with my case (400w ASUS) only has the 24 and 6 pin plugs on it. Is it fine to plug the 6 pin plug into the 8 pin socket?? I beleive its the 12v ATX..

Also do I need thermal paste when attaching the HSF to my CPU?? it already has the 3 small strips on it will that be fine?

Cheers.

EDIT: I beleive the 6 pin plug coming from the PSU is actually a PCIE connector, Hence having the black wires on the clip side. Does this mean i need a new PSU??

Last edited:

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
The more thermal paste the better in my opinion, dont over do it, but I like to use a bit more then the little strip supplied with it.

As for your power supply issue, I cant be bothered to check, but I thought ATX 12v was a 4 pin connector?

TA 91 WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII 5.7 LS1
The 6 pin connector you have mentioned is for a graphics card.

His motherboard that has an 8 pin is supported for the new quad core processors which use 2 x 4 pin connectors.

Your PSU should havea 4 pin connector on it. Plug it in and dont worry bout the other 4 pin. If you are using a quad core CPU then you will need it.

You can try a molex to 4 pin converter if you can find one.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux

His motherboard that has an 8 pin is supported for the new quad core processors which use 2 x 4 pin connectors.

Your PSU should havea 4 pin connector on it. Plug it in and dont worry bout the other 4 pin. If you are using a quad core CPU then you will need it.

Im about to build a AMD x4 for someone soon, do I need to be careful when choosing a PSU? or will a normal ATX PSU do the job?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride

Cheers Tommo, i Found the 4 pin connector after i posted.

Im using an E8500 CPU, will it be fine using 4 pins only?

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Cheers Tommo, i Found the 4 pin connector after i posted.

Im using an E8500 CPU, will it be fine using 4 pins only?

Yes..... Core 2 duo still run the 4 pin connector.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Yes..... Core 2 duo still run the 4 pin connector.
Correct, just finished my build with an E8500 (bloody E8600 is out now) about 2 months ago thanks to the help on here!!!
As for thermal paste, my E8500 basically had the whole heat sink covered in it. I added nothing to it and it hasn't missed a beat.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Got the thing going today, all seems well :)

I bought some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound for the CPU from my local pc shop. Hope that does the job, along with the 2 extra case fans i put in. Just gotta load up xpsp3 tonight.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Thermal paste is only there to transfer the heat and basically fill the air gaps between the two surfaces, so using more isn't always best. If its a metallic compound (ie arctic silver) you should be okay using a bit more as the properties of it aide better in the transfer of heat. We use various compounds by the kg at work and its messy stuff. Basically just make sure all of the surfaces are covered and you don't end up with it all squirting out the sides.