Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ls1 pcm retuning help!

maccaz69

Reaction score
Hi fellas,
I’ve just bought my 3rd Wh ls1 & just investigating tuning options - the last two I got mail order tunes which made a large difference.
This time though I’m considering doing it myself as I have 2 old holden 308s and miss the ability to tinker with the timing & mixtures etc - Plus I’d like being able to choose auto shift points etc etc.

It seems everyone points to efilive flash scan v3 but I’ve been quoted $1750 which I’m just a little surprised at has anyone else purchased one lately / what was the cost? I think we’re being hammered by the exchange rate…so may make more sense just to order a tune from someone who already has one as it’s hard to justify that cost….any advice welcome! Cheers

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
hptuners will be alot cheaper and prob have more adjustability esp with auto and the scanner is much better for getting data

maccaz69

Reaction score
Thanks heaps guys is it just the mpvi3 & the 2 gm credits I need to buy?
Do I need to add any cables?
Struggling to quite work out what is needed from their site….but that cost is way more viable!

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
I have the MPVI2 and use a usb-c cable connected to my laptop. The software is a free download from their website, download and install it, read the tune file from your car, save this and dont lose it, you can modify it and play with any settings you want then save as to save it with a new name. When you go to write the file to your ecu for the first time it will tell you that you need 2 x credits. Purchase credits to license the file, flash the tune, enjoy. You will never need credits again for that file in that car.

maccaz69

Reaction score
Well after all the convincing arguments for, I have just bought one!
Looking forward to some tinkering (And more acceleration!!!)
Thanks!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
be careful u can really F things up esp autos with the wrong adjustments, those early autos need some torque management to live

maccaz69

Reaction score
Hmmm that will be interesting - torque management was the first thing I was planning to remove!
Is it mainly 1st gear that requires it?
I’d like to harden up the changes a little too they are pretty sloppy from factory…

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hmmm that will be interesting - torque management was the first thing I was planning to remove!
Is it mainly 1st gear that requires it?
I’d like to harden up the changes a little too they are pretty sloppy from factory…
1st gear is the only one you don’t need to worry about…

Two trains of thought:

1) Reduce torque management, limit shift points to 5500rpm, increase line pressure, reduce shift times (fraught with danger if you get it wrong). This can fast track transmission damage if you’re not careful, or if the transmission has some wear.

2) Reduce torque management and leave shift times and line pressures the same. Shift points can be altered. Shift reprogramming (shift times, gear hold, shift firmness) is via replacement of hard parts.

Most important is perhaps the installation of stiffer 3/4 clutch pack return springs. Most NA LS’ like to rev higher than the stock 4L60e’s will reliably handle without a few mods. See below link for details. This spring kit is part of the transgo 4l60e-hd2 shift kit, which imo is well worth the money and effort.

https://transgo.com/product-details/700-high-rpm-kit/

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
torque management is what helps the gearbox change gears, it hard to explain but these autos arnt like earlier autos where u want faster shift u increase the pressure that dosnt work well now days, its all based on time, if u want a faster shift u increase the time (keep realistic it can only shift as fast as it mechanically can) it also has adaptive pressure so if it has trouble doing it at the faster speed it will increase the shift pressure itself so it can but if this is outside the allocated pressure adaptive then u can increase the pressure to help it, essentially the auto wants to shift smoothly and it will adapt to try to over time, u should be able to get it better with some simple changes keeping TM in use, if u have oncoming/offgoing pressures i dont recommend touching those