Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls1 into vk questions

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Thinking fo doing an ls1 conversion into a vk just wondering about the following

* Can I use my current fuel tank with an external fuel pump and utilise all the stock lines and return line back to the tank?

* Brakes can I use my current brake booster its a vk v8 one
have vl turbo front disc and calipers and standard vk brakes at the rear. Dont really want to upgrade them yet they arent heaps crash hot just wondering if they would get past for engineering or would I need to do the vt brake upgrade kit.

* whats the best bet ls1 ls2 or ls3 im assuming ls1 would be the cheapest/easiest as most people have already done this many times.

* I have a manual rack also can I keep my current vk v8 k frame or upgrade and go powersteering

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Can try use your stock fuel line, but I doubt the flow will be there. The fuel lines are different sizes between V6 and LS at least from the VX onwards, but probs the VT too. Depending on which LS you use it may be returnless.

Brakes you'll have to talk to the engineer about, but I suspect it will need to be equivalent to what was on the car the engine came from. Really something you shouldn't wait to do.

There is no LS engine that will make it easier to convert than the others, LS as a platform pretty much make it the same in terms of bolting in, that's why people are able to drop late model LS engines in earl model LS cars.

Steering is up to you, I don't know why you wouldn't go power steering. Mainly I think people go manual racks because the engine fouls on the power rack somewhere?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Manual rack has clearance with early crossmember,power rack barely any room...otherwise go later model vn-s setup if wanting powersteer.

Brakes they'll usually want bigger vt setup...they're a decent step up in performance.

Can use any fueltank with corvette/gm filter that has return to tank as ls is like a deadhead setup....most fit fuel line on passenger side.

Larger the engine more fun also most expense...cheapest would be complete driveline out of vt-vy already have correct sump,4l60e fits easily enough...downside is mileage & oil leaks etc possible rebuild needed.

VKL98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
Thinking fo doing an ls1 conversion into a vk just wondering about the following

* Can I use my current fuel tank with an external fuel pump and utilise all the stock lines and return line back to the tank?

* Brakes can I use my current brake booster its a vk v8 one
have vl turbo front disc and calipers and standard vk brakes at the rear. Dont really want to upgrade them yet they arent heaps crash hot just wondering if they would get past for engineering or would I need to do the vt brake upgrade kit.

* whats the best bet ls1 ls2 or ls3 im assuming ls1 would be the cheapest/easiest as most people have already done this many times.

* I have a manual rack also can I keep my current vk v8 k frame or upgrade and go powersteering
sent you a detailed pm mate