Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's New Ride

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's surprising?
That's where l used to go, till l found the auto electrician.
My old go to was Jaycar, now they only stock three colours max, same with SCA.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Their range isn’t great these days. I tend to buy assorted coloured wire packs from Amazon (or eBay) instead.
Yeah, I think I will be buying a few rolls of different colours from Mitre 10 when the new month kicks over. I looked on eBay and it seemed rather expensive for cable and about the same price as Mitre 10. Also this 7-10 day eBay delivery time annoys me, when I can swing past Mitre 10 and grab it on the same day.

I think cable is probably something to have on hand though like you do. Every few months I'm rummaging through tubs trying to find a piece to use on something. And if it's going to be hard to get in the future I best have a few colour rolls in the shed I think. I have a spare drawer in the cab now, so might use that for an electrical drawer to store packets of lugs, cable and solder joiners, heat shrink and the solder iron.

Reactions: Lex

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Then I'm trying to work by headlight as it's now dark and the power is off, and what happens I drop a nut I need...... Some searching and eventually it turns up but not on the floor like I thought but in my service cart on the second shelf..I thought it had hit the cart and bounced off.

Still great progress!!!.

I remember , well back last century, workin on the ( ex Qantas= now/well then RAAF tanker= 707s ) , R/H Leading Edge Wing area = Front Spar repairs .
So Front Spoilers are extended , he's doing up Hi Loks = ( high interference fasteners with collars/hexes that snap off at a predetermined torque) and socket goes flying off the ratchet.tided

We spent 15/20 minutes looking ( well turns out not looking everywhere ) , but in bins , under wing dockings ETC all over floor areas =all the ground areas.

I finally said , lets look in the spoilers and bull nose fairings ( google stuff ) .

Yep/ found = turns out socket went ( from our perspective ) , FWD hit the front spar and then upwards and back into the bull nose fairing.
WTF **** definitely happens !!

Some years later , young bloke working next to me ( again on 707 tankers ) , main deck ,drops socket = FFFFxxk .= Worst possible place = above the MEC area ( all the electric equipment area )

He and another tradesperson = 2.5 shifts= 20 hrs to find and work out where and retrieve !!

I have many times having workin in shite areas,( doing up fasteners ) , ( thankfully ), OH ,**** and tided off the ring spanner end with string = to save me.

Also , well thank Fxxk , Boeing = imperial = so not metric and therefore of never being a never found again post lost 10 mm Ha Ha Ha

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Tonight more progress. The stereo is now fully functional, and the wires are all tied up and hidden. Sounds 20 times better than the old system. And bugger me I can get the radio in the shed. In the ute I can barely pick up the same station outside the shed and both head units are Pioneer.
I also managed to get the instrument cables from the motor tied up along the side and hidden away. I will leave them coiled up in the side pocket near the controller for now as I don't know which wires go to which on the new tacho/hour meter. Won't affect operation so for now I will fit the tacho to make things look pretty and tackle the connections over the winter.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Are you going to test the motor out by taking out for a cruise, this season?
Yeah that's the plan. I'm nearly there. I just need about $20 in parts and about $50 worth of petrol and I'm ready to hit the water.

I still want to overhaul the windscreen and fit the new pinchweld but that will be done over the winter due to the cost.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A little more progress tonight. I was able to buy a 500mm piece of fuel hose for $6 at Burson this arvo. Chopped it in half and used it inside the tank. Vacced under the back seat and fitted the new tank. Fits just nice and is all tucked away. I still need the motor end fitting and a round hole boot for near the transom so it looks tidy where the fuel line passes through. Didn't have time today as shops would have been shut before I could get there.

I sold the seats in the boat today as I bought some new ones. Listed them last night and had a few enquires with one bloke saying he could be there in 20mins. Bang sold for $80. This will help fund the other bits I need to get it running. Brought the tacho home and will connect it up down the track, I might need to buy a manual to get the wiring diagrams, not sure yet. I need more cable and I'm hoping trailer cable might have, blue, black, red and yellow. I can buy that anywhere. I just don't know if it has a blue wire in it? I might need to buy some of that separately.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
All those years of saying you had a big white Johnson hanging a little to the right, now you can send the pic to prove it!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Getting there now. The tacho is not yet connected up. Next week I hope to get to Mitre 10 and buy the cable I need. Then I can run the cables and decide if I try to figure it out myself or pay someone who knows what they are doing to connect it up the motor harness.
20240216_161551.jpg
20240216_161604.jpg
20240216_161637.jpg