Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lets talk VS brake upgrades

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I put a VT style MC and booster on our old VS. Brakes were much better than stock which I always found to be average.

What I have also found is the engine state of tune has an effect on the brakes. A poorly running engine that doesn't produce good vacuum will effect the brakes. I also wonder how many cars have suspect brake booster check valves or leaking boosters. Either one will cause poor brake performance as well.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I put a VT style MC and booster on our old VS. Brakes were much better than stock which I always found to be average.

What I have also found is the engine state of tune has an effect on the brakes. A poorly running engine that doesn't produce good vacuum will effect the brakes. I also wonder how many cars have suspect brake booster check valves or leaking boosters. Either one will cause poor brake performance as well.
Yeah thats right.

I've got a dedicated vacuum resovoir on my brake booster due to running a tight LSA cam with little vacuum, made a big difference.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Can the check valve be popped off on the vs booster? I'm scare to touch it

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Can the check valve be popped off on the vs booster? I'm scare to touch it
Yep just leave your car overnight, pop it off the next morning. If you hear the suction of the vacuum being released it’s all good.

Alternatively if you get into your vehicle the next day and your pedal is hard on the first press, your diaphragm or check valve is damaged or not sealing properly.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Thanks gents, guessing check valve is gone then, but will test this weekend

Reactions: Lex

Nick Scali

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Caprice
Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm hesitant to move to VT calipers, only because I have to change the booster and master cylinder to suit, where as I think I can keep the factory VS setup with the VE calipers - I've got a bit of an issue with clearance between the master cylinder and the ABS module with how my fuel pressure regulator is mounted and the fuel pressure sensor:

PXL-20230303-025604192-MP.jpg

PXL-20230303-025553410.jpg

Check out the lovely twisted fuel lines and the worm style hose clamp holding them on - that was done by my tuner, I should probably sort that at some stage.

With the VE setup, I'm assuming I'm limited on choice of rotors, can you use a 296mm VZ rotor? The concern I have is that the 298mm VE rotor the caliper is designed for has a 30mm thickness and a 28mm replacement size where as the VZ rotor starts off at 28mm thickness and 25mm is the replacement size - is that difference in sizing going to potentially cause the pad to fall out of the caliper or overextend the piston inside the VE caliper?

What rotors are you guys with the VE front brake setup using?

Nick Scali

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Caprice
I had the VE upgrade on my VS, fronts only. The stock booster and master was more than sufficient. Marked improvement

I used the 320mm rotors, basically it was this kit from somewhere else

https://www.lowefabrications.com.au/product/vr-vs-brake-upgrade-kit-ve-2-piston-calipers/

Oh nice, I suspect he is using this rotor:

image.png

This matches all the other specifications with the thickness of the VE rotor but with the VT-VZ offset, unfortunately I think I'm **** out of luck and will need to go to 17" wheels, was trying to keep 16" and go to modified 16" VE/VF interceptor/chaser/steelies/bukkakes but I guess there's no other way around it.

17" BCI interceptor jobs it is.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Don't dismiss the 16s thou, it'll depend on the rim design whether it'll fit over the caliper.

Exanple, some 16" rims fit over the hsv calipers on 328mm discs, others don't. Best if you can fit it all and test.