Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lets talk VS brake upgrades

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
There's really no need to change the master cylinder on the VS.
The rear end conversion will require a VT master cylinder to suit and then your front brakes will need to match.

I thought Scotty's issue was that he couldn't retain the factory booster because of clearance issues with the toyota V8.

The old Budget way to do it was to cannibalise a VT and change everything on the VS.

These days you can just slap on a pair of wilwood 4 piston calipers on the front in an hour and be done with no other mods. The rear is a little more involved but still easy enough. The results are much better than stock VT parts.

I thought the reason why a larger bore master would be required comes down to fluid displacement and pressure ratios. Holden knew they were headed towards factory hsv big brake kits, 6 pot fronts and 4 pot rears with abs. That's a lot of places that little master cylinder needs apply not only pressure but pedal range. And I'm sure they knew the VS lacked brake performance. It was time for an upgrade anyway, so the VT moved to a larger bore platform.

Fortunately for us VS guys, our cars are lighter and if you stick to 4 pots, the stock matter is still within its range.

In my opinion doing the rear is more for looks and it does look good. But I guess it depends on what you are doing. Straight line breaking or getting a mod plate, just the front is fine. Circuit or Time attack stuff, then yeah balanced brakes front and rear.

I just want you guys to get the best result without spending money unnecessarily.

Take that $500 you'd spend on a master cylinder and put it into big white line sway bars. Install them on the hardest setting. You'll be thanking me after the first corner.
i have a modified vt mc/booster i fitted 5 years ago and ve 321mm brakes been on for 9 years my reason the old 23 year old m/c was starting to fail so the cost about the same so went for the upgrade and it made the brakes work a lot better another thing is that i found out recently the plastic booster cannot be rebuilt as there is a part in it that has been discontinued

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
i have a modified vt mc/booster i fitted 5 years ago and ve 321mm brakes been on for 9 years my reason the old 23 year old m/c was starting to fail so the cost about the same so went for the upgrade and it made the brakes work a lot better another thing is that i found out recently the plastic booster cannot be rebuilt as there is a part in it that has been discontinued
If you have a reason to move to the VT master, like a worn out VS Master, it starts to make sense. That's sad to hear one of the parts has been discontinued.
There's still option to staying with the VS kit. As these cars get older custom fab starts to become the norm.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Surprised you can't get kits for a VS master....I can still get them for a VB through to VR....

Might be due to the long run they had...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That plastic booster was only used on the VS and Holden went to the double diaphragm steel booster on the VT.

Reactions: Lex

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i still have my old m/c plastic booster sitting in a box, nearly 30 years old and been on the car 23 years i kept them just in case i want put it back to stock brakes could buy or rebuild the m/c thats no problem but if the booster needs rebuilding and you cant get the part and so there no point wasting money on another plastic booster

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 355 + VF Clubby W375 + ZB RSV
There's really no need to change the master cylinder on the VS.
The rear end conversion will require a VT master cylinder to suit and then your front brakes will need to match.

I thought Scotty's issue was that he couldn't retain the factory booster because of clearance issues with the toyota V8.

The old Budget way to do it was to cannibalise a VT and change everything on the VS.

These days you can just slap on a pair of wilwood 4 piston calipers on the front in an hour and be done with no other mods. The rear is a little more involved but still easy enough. The results are much better than stock VT parts.

I thought the reason why a larger bore master would be required comes down to fluid displacement and pressure ratios. Holden knew they were headed towards factory hsv big brake kits, 6 pot fronts and 4 pot rears with abs. That's a lot of places that little master cylinder needs apply not only pressure but pedal range. And I'm sure they knew the VS lacked brake performance. It was time for an upgrade anyway, so the VT moved to a larger bore platform.

Fortunately for us VS guys, our cars are lighter and if you stick to 4 pots, the stock matter is still within its range.

In my opinion doing the rear is more for looks and it does look good. But I guess it depends on what you are doing. Straight line breaking or getting a mod plate, just the front is fine. Circuit or Time attack stuff, then yeah balanced brakes front and rear.

I just want you guys to get the best result without spending money unnecessarily.

Take that $500 you'd spend on a master cylinder and put it into big white line sway bars. Install them on the hardest setting. You'll be thanking me after the first corner.
I’ve decided we to go the VT master. Sounds like the best option.
You’re right the rears are more cosmetic. It’s in a ute so probably even less needed-I always forget how to spell necessary even worse after beverages…is that correct…
I’ll talk to some other suppliers about whether the 4 piston are still available for the front.
Only just learning about the handbrake issue. Hopefully Wilwood 4 piton bolt up easy enough.
Again any info is appreciated

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ve decided we to go the VT master. Sounds like the best option.
You’re right the rears are more cosmetic. It’s in a ute so probably even less needed-I always forget how to spell necessary even worse after beverages…is that correct…
I’ll talk to some other suppliers about whether the 4 piston are still available for the front.
Only just learning about the handbrake issue. Hopefully Wilwood 4 piton bolt up easy enough.
Again any info is appreciated
I ended going Wilwood 6 piston front 4 piston rear with the VT master cylinder available on EBay.
Brakes are great. Better than I’d hoped for. Look great too. Highly recommended if $$$ will allow.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Do you have some photos and aink to the kit you purchased?

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I will say, from experience, I drove a VR with VT brakes using the VR/S master and it worked fine for me.
The pedal dropped down and was a little squishy, nothing you don't get used to.

I would recommend getting a master cylinder upgrade, or using calipers better matched to the VR/S master.

But I did drive with the mismatched VT calipers and VR/S master.