Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leak in radiator end tank

Dan1488nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS wagon
Who in NZ uses ebay lol...
And some of us don't have the money to replace things.... like I said I'm basically broke with 2 new twins in the house.... just looking for a solution until I can afford to replace it
And the govt say there's no Cost of living crisis here in nz what a crock

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Plastic welding would be the best temporary repair that would be worth pursuing. Another may be an epoxy putty designed for patching leaky radiators but if you try covering the crack with RTV or some other sealant be prepared for the radiator to **** itself catastrophically one day when you are miles from home.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
And some of us don't have the money to replace things
You have a car with disposable parts when you cook it and damage the engine dont cry usually doing dodges doesn't save any money. Replace the radiator now before you waste more money .

Dan1488nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS wagon
You have a car with disposable parts when you cook it and damage the engine dont cry usually doing dodges doesn't save any money. Replace the radiator now before you waste more money .
Ffs what part of I CANT AFFORD A FUXKING RADIATOR don't you guys get

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ffs what part of I CANT AFFORD A FUXKING RADIATOR don't you guys get

Just let us know what form of repair you decide to do.....

I for one understand you only want to do it as a temporary measure as other things in life get in the way and once finances permit, you will replace the radiator :)

Dan1488nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS wagon
Just let us know what form of repair you decide to do.....

I for one understand you only want to do it as a temporary measure as other things in life get in the way....
Precisely, I will replace it, this is just hunting for a solution for 10 days at the most as I'm on monthly pay haha

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Precisely, I will replace it, this is just hunting for a solution for 10 days at the most as I'm on monthly pay haha

I honestly think, reading back at your original postings, using RTV would get you by for at least 2 months, considering it is only a small leak....

With my VC, I have used RTV for as long as I can remember, especially with the thermo probe and never had it leak.....

Best of luck and hope the twins aren't keeping you up too long at night....:)

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
if it is only a small leak , just leave the cap half off so it doesnt build pressure and fill before each trip

theburna57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute V6
The grandson nearly cooked his VS the other week. We considered the options and decided to 1 Change the radiator for an alloy one from a supplier on ebay for $194, 2 remove the thermostat and 3 replace the thrmostat housing $60. The consideration was either fix it right, or risk having to replace the donk.

Dan1488nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS wagon
The grandson nearly cooked his VS the other week. We considered the options and decided to 1 Change the radiator for an alloy one from a supplier on ebay for $194, 2 remove the thermostat and 3 replace the thrmostat housing $60. The consideration was either fix it right, or risk having to replace the donk.
Easy for some who actually have 200 bucks...