Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leak in radiator end tank

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah we don't all have that kind of equipment available.... as I said I'm only looking for a temporary fix until I can replace with a new
You can do similar with a soldering iron and some plastic salvaged from an old radiator ;)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lol I was even thinking a jet lighter and a zip tie... plastic tig welding
Hahaha, zip ties are nylon so that may actually work :D

Dan1488nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS wagon
Hahaha, zip ties are nylon so that may actually work :D
Or a soldering iron.... probably even better.... I only say plastic tig welding as it is somewhat similar, a heat source, and an external filler source

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hey guys... I've got a leak in the plastic end tank under the bleed screw on the radiator of my v6 wagon. My question is: will a spray on sealant like Flex Seal or CRC stop leak be sufficient, or will something like RTV be more suitable?
Cheers guys.
No. Please don’t.
Just replace the radiator. There are loads for VZ V6 on eBay at affordable prices.

Then follow my thread in the “How To” section.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
200.gif

I can’t believe what you guys are posting. I’m deeply ashamed of all of you.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Or a soldering iron.... probably even better.... I only say plastic tig welding as it is somewhat similar, a heat source, and an external filler source
Best heat source for plastic welding is hot air gun with a small nozzle fitted :cool:

I bought one from Bunnings some years ago for just over $100 and it gets to >500C so will plastic weld without issue. Haven’t tried it for such things as yet.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No. Please don’t.
Just replace the radiator. There are loads for VZ V6 on eBay at affordable prices.

I will punish myself by facing the wall in the corner, saying the words, never give bodgy advise....All I need to know is how long I need to be in the corner saying all this....:)

From that, I will then proceed to remove the water pump and thermostat housing from my VC and fitting a gasket, with aviation sealant....

My thermo probe, I will have to think of how to seal that up, whilst I am in the corner abusing myself for the advise I gave....:D

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
No. Please don’t.

Problem with second hand radiators is that the plastic is old and heat cycled so may be just as cracked as the original piece one is trying to replace or about to crack and won’t last as long :eek:

Plastic welding FRP isn’t a bad thing if done with care and skill. FRP tanks are made from a type of nylon which has glass fibre within. The nylon is a thermoplastic so can be repeatedly melted and will set hard as it cools. Cleanliness is critical. The idea behind mixing the melted filler rod with the base FRP is to mix the grass fibre into the molten plastic so it provides the original strength of the base FRP.

200.gif

I can’t believe what you guys are posting. I’m deeply ashamed of all of you.
The great thing with plastic welding FRP is that the base can be built up in areas where the manufacturer was skimping on wall thickness or on strengthening ribs so the newly welded part can be made stronger then the original.

So if done well it’s not a bodge and should provide decent extension to the service life until one can afford to buy a new radiator (which obviously is the best option).

But I too will stand in the corner for suggesting such blasphemy :p:p:p

Dan1488nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS wagon
No. Please don’t.
Who in NZ uses ebay lol...
And some of us don't have the money to replace things.... like I said I'm basically broke with 2 new twins in the house.... just looking for a solution until I can afford to replace it