Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lathes & Milling Machines

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Very slippery slope you're encouraging people to take @Fu Manchu. Once you get on the train of buying gear for your shed it's very hard to get off.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Very slippery slope you're encouraging people to take @Fu Manchu. Once you get on the train of buying gear for your shed it's very hard to get off.

You definitely are an expert on that subject.

What is your next purchase? :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Think of it as a life long expenditure... And 'justified'.
With enough equipment and experience, you start making your own tools.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
This is part of why I started the thread. The whole reason we have a garage section on the forum is so we can teach each other new skills and share tool ideas. Or help someone new to cars learn what to start buying to keep their ride going, or better still, renovated.

This is what will keep our cars going into the future.
Another 30 or 50 years. Maybe 69 years. Even better.
Anyone into YouTube, and wants to learn basic machining, a great instructional channel is Tubalcain, mrpete222, https://www.youtube.com/@mrpete222
He has over 1600 videos, he was a high school workshop teacher for many years and still producing great videos at almost 80 years old.
Plenty of info to learn.

Closer to home, Curtis from Cutting Edge Engineering on the Gold Coast, https://www.youtube.com/@CuttingEdgeEngineering is in to big, heavy stuff. Lots of machining and welding, repairing earth moving equipment etc. Another good instructional channel.

Another channel I like to watch is Stuart de Haro, https://www.youtube.com/@StuartdeHaro Very good at explaining technical subjects.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
For the slightly more advanced machinists here (on the forum) there is the Abom79 channel on the tubes. Not sure how to describe him but it's almost like the lathe is an extension of the man. Also loves his shaper.

Reactions: Lex

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
For the slightly more advanced machinists here (on the forum) there is the Abom79 channel on the tubes. Not sure how to describe him but it's almost like the lathe is an extension of the man. Also loves his shaper.
Used to watch Adam Booth's channel... Wastes a lot of video time with real time machining.
He likes to 'show off' all of the items he is given.
He lost me after he was supplied with a mega dollar 'set-tru' 6 jawed chuck, then complained about its accuracy after he failed to mount it correctly.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I don't watch his channel any more, like you say, to much time showing **** off and bloody long videos. But he's good at what he does.