Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L 98

TUFNDUPVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE
Hello people plz help , i have a ve ute original engine was a L 76 . Before i purchased this car the engine had been swapped out too a L 98 , i need parts for this L98 and do not know how to tell if the previous owners registered engine change with motor registry or not . the current engine number that i have on paper is ---

329237051​

can anybody id this engine number to type of engine and maybe the model and vin it came out of would be a bonus

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
They're basically the same engine, the L98 just has the AFM removed. A fair amount of the LS stuff is interchangeable across the entire LS range anyway. Also might be worth mentioning what parts you need...

TUFNDUPVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE
Ok thank you for your reply Lex I am only after what should be a simple task
Harmonic balancer
Timing chain cover & new guide and a new sump pan
Serpentine belt . Hoping my local parts dealer can source these without having to go to Holden..

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The timing chain cover and sump are typically not carried by parts shops unless you want to pay through the nose for aftermarket ones. Your best bet is to try and source these second hand from a wrecker or ebay or Marketplace or Gumtree.

There are a few places on ebay selling timing covers (remember to check if it comes with the front main seal):
New genuine: link
Second hand: link
Proflow aftermarket: link

The sump is going to be a bit harder to source as it's not a commonly replaced or separated item and will likely be prohibitively expensive brand new. It seems like there may be a couple of variations, so look at the part number on your existing pan (the part number will either be cast into it or on a sticker) and search for a matching one. These are two examples of used ones:
Link 1
Link 2

Revhigh seems to sell them brand new, but it's alota dosh: link
4blok: link
This random wrecker: link

Why are you replacing them? At a guess it sounds like you've hit or run over something and damaged the front of the engine.

Last edited:

TUFNDUPVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE
The timing chain cover and sump are typically not carried by parts shops unless you want to pay through the nose for aftermarket ones. Your best bet is to try and source these second hand from a wrecker or ebay or Marketplace or Gumtree.

There are a few places on ebay selling timing covers (remember to check if it comes with the front main seal):

The sump is going to be a bit harder to source as it's not a commonly replaced or separated item and will likely be prohibitively expensive brand new. It seems like there may be a couple of variations, so look at the part number on your existing pan (the part number will either be cast into it or on a sticker) and search for a matching one. These are two examples of used ones:
Link 1
Link 2

Why are you replacing them? At a guess it sounds like you've hit or run over something and damaged the front of the engine.
Thank you for your your reply and follow up links _R_J_K_ i have recently purchased this engine and the harmonic balancer had been slipping cause it to chew out a bit of the timing cover and sump . im no mechanic but i am starting to be under the assumption that most ls engines are much the same when it comes too external parts such as the ones i seek

TUFNDUPVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE
Thank you for your your reply and follow up links _R_J_K_ i have recently purchased this engine and the harmonic balancer had been slipping cause it to chew out a bit of the timing cover and sump . im no mechanic but i am starting to be under the assumption that most ls engines are much the same when it comes too external parts such as the ones i seek

Link 1
Link 2

They're basically the same engine, the L98 just has the AFM removed. A fair amount of the LS stuff is interchangeable across the entire LS range anyway. Also might be worth mentioning what parts you need...
would anybody be able to tell me what these nu
mbers mean on sump pan 12616857

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hello people plz help , i have a ve ute original engine was a L 76 . Before i purchased this car the engine had been swapped out too a L 98 , i need parts for this L98 and do not know how to tell if the previous owners registered engine change with motor registry or not . the current engine number that i have on paper is ---

329237051​

can anybody id this engine number to type of engine and maybe the model and vin it came out of would be a bonus
If your willing or able to wait for parts it’s a lot cheaper to get them from the US. I bought a new HB for my SSV (L98) from RockAuto. You just need to look up Pontiac G8 parts as that’s what the VE Commodore was in the US.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If your willing or able to wait for parts it’s a lot cheaper to get them from the US. I bought a new HB for my SSV (L98) from RockAuto. You just need to look up Pontiac G8 parts as that’s what the VE Commodore was in the US.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/
I agree, somewhat. I bought a balancer a lot cheaper from RA. But price up coils or spark plugs and its cheaper locally. Out of everything I have bought new the only thing I saved on by using RA was the balancer. RA used to be the bees knees for everything but not on the G8 I'm afraid.

TUFNDUPVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE UTE
That's the part number for the sump.
Holden ,repco & supercheap say the do not recognise this part number .I thought it had to be a part number ,maybe aftermarket . I am looking for one of these oil pans to replace mine