Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Joining the ZB crew - 2019 LT 2.0L long term review thread.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Thanks for the info, in 2011 they knew it had to go overseas and started the interior design for the ZB, thats a long time so plenty of hard aussie hours there and there was extensive tuning at the lang lang test grounds for the zb to adapt it to Aussie roads I believe, the 4 banger turbo is best drive line for the era we are in. 6.2lt are awesome and I own a 6.0lt crewman I love, so the difference is huge, these ZB commis are great to drive. Lane assist, autonomous braking, collision and pedestrian detection, enough airbags that when you do get crashed into the kids will have fun and ask for another turn like its a jumping castle.
I'm sure if holden could have continued they would have built on it very well.
Its a Commodore and is wicked.
The ZB's are great cars but they should not have been called a Commodore... What they should've done was called it an Insignia like the Opel version

Last edited:

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
That makes No sense, the company releasing it was Holden not Opel, the commodore is not the same car as the insignia, it may be similar and shares the main components like Commodores have with many cars for years prior. It is a Commodore and people that say otherwise killed Holden.
Do some research and maybe drive one or two because the reality is it could have been much better if they could continue to modify it as holden usually did. We would have a GTR like commodore in no time with AWD and Turbo power.
For me the muck up was when they wanted a V6 variant and spent money on useless engineering in the end, cause the 4 bangers go well and have potential for economy and good power, some overseas insignia variant 4 bangers are AWD instead Holden wanted to make the V6 for the Holden branding and still didn't get what they wanted there.
My Lt 4 banger will gobble up most legally, the crewman 6.0lt wont and uses more fuel and tyres to try. Haters will H8 though.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the company releasing it was Holden not Opel, the commodore is not the same car as the insignia,

the zb is and was an insignia first and holden worked with opel to import it here as the zb, the same vehicle was imported to the usa as the buick regal.

the LTG 4 banger petrol was in the 2013+ insignia and in the 2014+ regal.
the 4cyl Multijet diesel is a fiat engine which is in many vehicles worldwide.
the 6cyl LGX is basically an enhancement on the LFX found in the vf series, they have slapped the LGX into a few us vehicles including the holden arcadia here.

most of the tuning done by holden was with the 6cyl and awd system which is what sets the 6cyl apart from the 4cyl.
the 4cyl lacks a lot of the driveline and handling/suspension components that the only awd variant comes with.
while the 4cyl does have some punch it lacks the handling of the awd and can torque steer if you really hammer it

at is core the zb is an Opel Insignia B (second generation) with a few tweaks for australia.
The car is based on a moderately updated version of Epsilon II platform and was wholly developed by General Motors.[31] After the sale of Opel to PSA Group and later Stellantis, it is continued to be produced under license.[32]

Opel dropped the OPC designation for its performance Insignia, instead reverting to their older GSi nameplate, last seen on the third generation Opel Vectra. The GSi nameplate also replaces VXR, on the Vauxhall version of the Insignia. This version of the Insignia is badged as the Holden Commodore ZB in Australia and New Zealand, and as the sixth generation Buick Regal in the Americas and Asia.

to say the zb is not the same car as the insignia is just wrong on many levels.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
That makes No sense, the company releasing it was Holden not Opel, the commodore is not the same car as the insignia, it may be similar and shares the main components like Commodores have with many cars for years prior. It is a Commodore and people that say otherwise killed Holden.
Do some research and maybe drive one or two because the reality is it could have been much better if they could continue to modify it as holden usually did. We would have a GTR like commodore in no time with AWD and Turbo power.
For me the muck up was when they wanted a V6 variant and spent money on useless engineering in the end, cause the 4 bangers go well and have potential for economy and good power, some overseas insignia variant 4 bangers are AWD instead Holden wanted to make the V6 for the Holden branding and still didn't get what they wanted there.
My Lt 4 banger will gobble up most legally, the crewman 6.0lt wont and uses more fuel and tyres to try. Haters will H8 though.
Trev's back.

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
Keep up the cut paste cause your fighting a losing fight, so many ways to justify its not a Commodore yet it has the badge and was sold as a Commodore, bet you winged when it went to a v6 from a straight 6, bet you winged when they went to LS v8 too, as stated the car is unique to insignia even if they (Holden and opal under gm under their owner) worked side by side the thing has a Commodore badge and was sold as it. Parts aren't that rare like peeps say as 3 mill sold similar world wide. Globalisation was miss understood and still is to this day. Holden tried and people don't get it.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
For me the muck up was when they wanted a V6 variant and spent money on useless engineering in the end, cause the 4 bangers go well and have potential for economy and good power,
some overseas insignia variant 4 bangers are AWD instead Holden wanted to make the V6 for the Holden branding and still didn't get what they wanted there.
Yes, the turbo 4 does go exceptionally well. However, Can you actually imagine Holden selling any Commodores (or any other name you might wish to use for their main model) at all if the only option was a four cylinder? Especially when the previous model not only had a V6 in the line up but also a V8.

I think if GM hadn't pulled the pin on Holden we would have seen the sort of development you're suggesting.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Keep up the cut paste cause your fighting a losing fight, so many ways to justify its not a Commodore yet it has the badge and was sold as a Commodore, bet you winged when it went to a v6 from a straight 6, bet you winged when they went to LS v8 too, as stated the car is unique to insignia even if they (Holden and opal under gm under their owner) worked side by side the thing has a Commodore badge and was sold as it. Parts aren't that rare like peeps say as 3 mill sold similar world wide. Globalisation was miss understood and still is to this day. Holden tried and people don't get it.

Settle down tezza, its ok that you dont understand the vehicle that you drive other than its badge.

Heres a fun thing about that badge, take your front holden badge off and you will see the opel badge under it

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
Yes, the turbo 4 does go exceptionally well. However, Can you actually imagine Holden selling any Commodores (or any other name you might wish to use for their main model) at all if the only option was a four cylinder? Especially when the previous model not only had a V6 in the line up but also a V8.

I think if GM hadn't pulled the pin on Holden we would have seen the sort of development you're suggesting.
It didn't sell enough with the v6 variant as the flagship, why I believe the money coulda gone into a more lively 4 bang AWD sport edition, I get the ol' V8 was a Love to let go, it is well built and has all the wow factor you need mostly on how it empties your wallet ahahaha maybe zb coulda been a "Signature" hehehe bit ironic commis started and ended with opel.

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
Settle down tezza, its ok that you dont understand the vehicle that you drive other than its badge.

Heres a fun thing about that badge, take your front holden badge off and you will see the opel badge under it
Jelly?