Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JB Weld vs 91 & E85 - Submersion Test

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
4JLq6kA.jpeg
The package says "original"?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Update time.

After sitting for 27 days, I did a check this morning.

The 91 test subject was still the same colour and rock hard when squeezing with pliers.

The E85 test subject on the other hand has started to discolour with a brown tinge and cracked when squeezed with pliers.

soQUYYZ.jpeg

I have left them both in their jars and will check again in a few weeks time.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Wow…. seems like yesterday… where did those 27 days go :oops:

At least in that time you’ve made a good contribution to the knowledge base around JB Weld :) Keep up the good work :cool:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Update time.

After sitting for 27 days, I did a check this morning.

The 91 test subject was still the same colour and rock hard when squeezing with pliers.

The E85 test subject on the other hand has started to discolour with a brown tinge and cracked when squeezed with pliers.

soQUYYZ.jpeg

I have left them both in their jars and will check again in a few weeks time.
Doesn't look tasty...:cool:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
So a few weeks has become a couple of months lol.

Now some 3 months in, the 91 test subject remains the same as the previous test, same colour and still rock hard.

The e85 has now become more squishy and some pices broke away when squeezed with pliers.

sjGpFuk.jpeg

The e85 is also smelling somewhat fruity.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
looks like it's prob drying out more from the ethanol causing it to crack more, also on my earlier point with some hose failing from the bp98 that same hose is methanol safe which is much harsher so the hose material all depends on the exact additives in any fuels used in it

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
To me this experiment just highlights that claims made on product packaging can be somewhat misleading at times if not outwardly false :rolleyes:

Using JB weld for an in-tank fix on a VE E85 capable vehicle doesn't seem to be such a great idea if a long term fix is the end goal. If one actually used E85 in their car, then such an in-tank fix may only last some 3 or 4 months before the ethanol softens things and pump vibration kills the bond :confused: So far it seems that it would work well in a petrol (RON91) fuelled vehicle :) Would it work equally well in RON98 with it's different additive package

:oops:
It's excellent work @VS 5.0 and it will be interesting to monitor it for a longer time to see how long the RON91 sample holds, though it's looking good so far :cool:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
To me this experiment just highlights that claims made on product packaging can be somewhat misleading at times if not outwardly false :rolleyes:

Using JB weld for an in-tank fix on a VE E85 capable vehicle doesn't seem to be such a great idea if a long term fix is the end goal. If one actually used E85 in their car, then such an in-tank fix may only last some 3 or 4 months before the ethanol softens things and pump vibration kills the bond :confused: Seo far it seems that it would work well in a petrol (RON91) fuelled vehicle :)

It's excellent work @VS 5.0 and it will be interesting to monitor it for a longer time to see how long the petrol sample holds though it's looking good so far :cool:

I'll keep the jars on the bench and check them periodically*.

For the purposes of this comment, periodically is defined as when/if the next time I remember.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agree it would be interesting to know the results from 98, which is a more pure form of petrol than 91 is, and more widely used than E85 is. .