Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is Changing shocks when lowering a must?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
just curious, if you need em in the back incase of springs popping out, why not the front too?

Because the struts sit inside of the springs. The spring seats are also a little different, the bottom seat is attached to the strut.

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
Do lowering correctly to have both ride and height confort.

You should get short shocks for both front and back, this topic has been asked a zillion times on here.
There are no short cuts... or cheat ways to do this correctly.

If you cut springs you end up with no suspension travel.

Front springs are held into their place by the shocker, "it cages them in" so if your putting shorter springs just spend the money and get the shorter stroke shocks.

Rear springs can just bounce out, when you go over a pot hole etc. so again shorter is the recommended way.

If you go too short and have independant rear you will also need camber kit for the wish bones, otherwise your going to scrub out tyres or crack the diff cradle.

Taking a short cut sounds great, makes the car look great with minimum expences, but then you will spend lots more fixing all the items that died from the stress.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Do lowering correctly to have both ride and height confort.

You should get short shocks for both front and back, this topic has been asked a zillion times on here.
There are no short cuts... or cheat ways to do this correctly.

If you cut springs you end up with no suspension travel.

Front springs are held into their place by the shocker, "it cages them in" so if your putting shorter springs just spend the money and get the shorter stroke shocks.

Rear springs can just bounce out, when you go over a pot hole etc. so again shorter is the recommended way.

If you go too short and have independant rear you will also need camber kit for the wish bones, otherwise your going to scrub out tyres or crack the diff cradle.

Taking a short cut sounds great, makes the car look great with minimum expences, but then you will spend lots more fixing all the items that died from the stress.

I'm not entirely sure you got all of that right :p Just putting it out there.

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Well i lost my licence today for 6 months so i have alot my time to fix up the VN
Im getting some new shocks tomorrow for the rear but i am going to give the stock front shocks a try with the superlows, if i dont like the feel then ill buy some shocks for the front also.

bardy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
You should as it can be dangerous and if you use incorrect shocks you run the risk of a spring coming out if you hit a bump

is this a big risk even with a minimal lower such as Kings Lows?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
There is no risk with Lows. Lows can't dislodge at full extension - in fact they're about the same as FE2 which was optioned with stock shocks. So you'll be fine :)

CommoNdoreVN

ginger ninja
Reaction score
Members Ride
89 V6 VN 5speed Buick
i put ultralows on my VN, and got some shorter sports shocks to go with it.
as for the front, i still have stocks in there. they sit fine, but will probably need to be replaced soonish as they are working harder.
so fronts are optional, i would have done it if i had the money. and definitely all at the same time.
only problem i have with them is that reasonably fast turning can result in small bounces through the corner, due to the spongy fronts.
otherwise they are all good.

sniperknight

sniper-17
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP 5spd Exec.
hey all, just fitted super lows to my wagon on sunday, aswell as adjustable panhard rod and new KYB shocks all round. though today have found that the rear is still "bouncy"...i dont know why, they are all new springs and shocks and i have this problem. any ideas? only thing i can think of is these rear shocks are dodgy.

CommoNdoreVN

ginger ninja
Reaction score
Members Ride
89 V6 VN 5speed Buick
your rear shocks are definitely not dodgy. happened to mine as well.
when the kings are brand new they are stiff as hell, and therefore dont have as much give. they need a month or two to settle, the will loosen up and your car will probably sit a bit lower than when you put them in.
if they are not new, it may be because you are not used to them. if the shocks are new they will not be the problem.

sniperknight

sniper-17
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP 5spd Exec.
well thats what i thought initially....they gunna need to time to settle....but then my fronts are already noticably stiffer which is good.....im guessing because of the weight up the front of the car is because of that?

so by what you have said, after a month or 2 the springs should have compressed a little more and then be a stiffer ride?