Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent fault / wagon tailgate.

Simmo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R S3 , VF Commodore Wagon SS S1
Well I'm at a loss so far, I thought I was experiencing the typical tailgate switch failure, as my problem was intermittent then absolutely not working anymore. I purchased a new switch and fitted it only to find that the problem still exists, I took it around to a mates and found that when it was scanned that "communication was lost with the tailgate module".
We ran out of time and I've booked it in for further diagnosis, I have found that it will work in the morning occasionally, anyway I mucked around with it yesterday, it worked for about 20 minutes whilst it was apart, the module was doing it's thing as it's supposed to, then it just stopped working again. I pulled all fuses for the modules hoping to fix it, however, I did notice that the tailgate module was making a noise after this. I disconnected the power to it and plugged it back in, the noise had stopped, the tailgate still doesn't work.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Last edited:

DAZ88P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
Keen to hear peoples experiences with the tailgates before i start trying to replace bits.

I'm searching as having an intermittent fault. Seems to open a few itmes after a drive and then nothing. I can hear a motor type noise when I press the button but it doesnt open. As I can hear the motor noise I know button is working an actuator is defintiely working sometimes not sure where the actual issue may lie.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I had a similar issue. When I pressed the release button, I could hear the motor trying, but it just wouldn't open. I replaced the actuator which solved the problem.

Simmo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R S3 , VF Commodore Wagon SS S1
Sorry about the late reply, we found that the actuator had virtually gone to ground, bought a new unit from eBay (genuine) all working as it should now, I'm fairly certain it was bodged up by someone prior (car yard more than likely) .
Works as it should and considering it has a new switch also I'm good for many more miles.

Reactions: Lex