Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improved Alloytec Intake Manifold (Plenum) ?

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
A while ago, I was talking to a bloke from Octane Alley in Geelong, where they modify Alloytecs for racing.
He was very generous with his time & we had a long conversation about the extensively modified intake manifold he had developed.
He had done a lot of flow-testing, and had made major internal changes to the manifold, resulting in a lot of extra power.
We concluded that his racing manifold wouldn't be suitable for a street car, because it was so different that you'd have to run a custom ECU & lose a lot of street car features.

But one thing he said stuck in my mind: "the stock manifold really starves cylinders 1 and 2".

So I was wondering....

Would it be possible to provide 2 extra air pathways outside the manifold, to feed those cylinders some more?
I'm thinking of something simple - 2 screw-in nozzles above cylinders 1 & 2, connected to hoses, connected to the backside of the throttle body or even near the front of the manifold, in a like manner.

Has anyone ever done anything like this?
What diameter would the hoses have to be to be effective?
What would be the pitfalls?
Would the airflow be so badly disrupted that it wouldn't be worth it?

Like I said, just wondering....

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6

Oh sure, many times in the past 12 months.
I was looking at the Octane Alley manifold as an alternative, since its external dimensions are the same as standard.
This is important because I have a manifold insulator/spacer and a strut brace. The CPR6 won't really fit unless I sacrifice one or both.
Since the Adventra needs more torque down low to get moving (insulator/spacer), and most of the CPR6's benefits are up high (see dyno charts),
I'm looking for alternatives.

But if I could find a CPR6 second-hand at a good price, of course I would love to try it out.
I think I've only read one account of one being installed in an Adventra.

Besides, who doesn't like being unique? :)

Might get a second hand Alloytec 190 plenum & start experimenting.
I already have a design in my head.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Might as well get a pile of cash and burn it. Same outcome.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Oh sure, many times in the past 12 months.
I was looking at the Octane Alley manifold as an alternative, since its external dimensions are the same as standard.
This is important because I have a manifold insulator/spacer and a strut brace. The CPR6 won't really fit unless I sacrifice one or both.
Since the Adventra needs more torque down low to get moving (insulator/spacer), and most of the CPR6's benefits are up high (see dyno charts),
I'm looking for alternatives.

But if I could find a CPR6 second-hand at a good price, of course I would love to try it out.
I think I've only read one account of one being installed in an Adventra.

Besides, who doesn't like being unique? :)

Might get a second hand Alloytec 190 plenum & start experimenting.
I already have a design in my head.

why not , sounds like it may work . I wouldn't mind a CPR6 manifold either , if I'm honest , but the cost kind of puts me off And do they work with 25mm manifold insulators

Last edited:

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
why not , sounds like it may work . I wouldn't mind a CPR6 manifold either , if I'm honest , but the cost kind of puts me off And do they work with 25mm manifold insulators

25mm manifold insulator AND a strut brace?

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto

Why hang on to your 25mm spacer designed for a stock manifold? The CPR6 would be designed not to be used with a manifold spacer. If ithe CPR6 needed extra height it surely would be in the design