Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HQ GTS Monaro bonnet cable

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I decided to replace the cable that opens the bonnet on the HQ GTS that I purchased 3 years ago, yes 3 years ago that came from Rare Spares with the Rubbers for the Firewall, The 3 Clips that attach the cable on the metal of the car and hold it there (bullshit) and 1/ Although it for a HQ I had the file the hole (where HOOD is lettered on the knob) bigger in the cabin side to hold the end there, yes the hole was too small, 2/ The Rubbers were useless, 3/ THOSE 3 CLIPS were hopeless as they were too thin, Not hardened correctly, bent very easier, and did not clamp the outside of the cable so when you try to open the bonnet the outside of the cable slips and the bonnet does not open.
Question where can you get good one from "eg" like the Original Holden that are just about impossible to remove or slip.

The Photo below show THAT clip that is about 2 inches from the end of the (outside) cable. Yes the one that clips on but this one is useless and allows the outer to slide inwards towards the bolt that locks the bonnet.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
You are not the only one with that problem.
Word picture using your photo ............... go back about 20mm to the left, drill 2 holes in the silver latch plate, matching with a home made flat saddle, wrap some thin rubber/plastic around the cable shroud, attach saddle and screw down tight enough so the cable won't move, but the inner cable still slides. Worked for me. How pretty it is, depends on how OCD you are.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
You are not the only one with that problem.
Word picture using your photo ............... go back about 20mm to the left, drill 2 holes in the silver latch plate, matching with a home made flat saddle, wrap some thin rubber/plastic around the cable shroud, attach saddle and screw down tight enough so the cable won't move, but the inner cable still slides. Worked for me. How pretty it is, depends on how OCD you are.
I did similar but with cable ties close to the drive side bend . That Rubbush from Rare Spears should not be sold, all I was trying to do is keep it some sort of original by using the same clips but now I'm usong cable ties which looks yak. Yes I will think about your method, Could be better than cable ties.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Anyhow I will wait for more feedback from members here about this issue. Maybe someone can get the original ones or close to them that are STRONG and do the trick

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Anyhow I will wait for more feedback from members here about this issue. Maybe someone can get the original ones or close to them that are STRONG and do the trick
Would think you be better of getting second hand and get it coated

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Would think you be better of getting second hand and get it coated
Yes but they are hard to get the original one off without damages them

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

VFSV6FORME