Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO replace headlining - Very detailed

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hey guys, looking to tackle this on my VT as it really needs doing. I'm gonna try for the magic orange Autobahn stuff for the adhesive and 5-10mm foam from Clark Rubber. I'll check out Spotlight for the material, just wondering how much I will need to cover the roof? And any suggestions on how think of a material?

EDIT: Ok so my Spotlight must be the worst in Australia as the widest piece of material I can get is 1.5m wide... any suggestion for other Spotlights in Sydney?

Dunno about VT but VS headliner is 1.3m wide and 1.6m long. Tried a couple of other methods first but finished up settling for this.

Got this piece of felt fabric on special for $5/m from my local QLD spotlight, so material was $10 all up, I got 2m x 1.5. Its a thick stretchy stuff.. stretchy is better if you want it to conform properly to the cardboard's shape. Thick means the glue doesnt bleed through the fabric.

A can of basic brush on kwik grip for $15 bucks and job solvered boss. Total cost, $25.

attachment.php

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Dunno about VT but VS headliner is 1.3m wide and 1.6m long. Tried a couple of other methods first but finished up settling for this.

Got this piece of felt fabric on special for $5/m from my local QLD spotlight, so material was $10 all up, I got 2m x 1.5. Its a thick stretchy stuff.. stretchy is better if you want it to conform properly to the cardboard's shape. Thick means the glue doesnt bleed through the fabric.

A can of basic brush on kwik grip for $15 bucks and job solvered boss. Total cost, $25.

Bought a VE instead :p

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
The cream roof lining in my VZ is stained from previous owners kids throwing food and stuff at the roof (I would presume lol), but the actual roof lining material isnt sagging or anything. Im thinking of buying a few cans of this
Upholstery Spray Paint BLACK | buy online
And just spraying the standard cream material black. Only thing Im wondering is how secure is the standard material stuck to the liner? I.e when I pull the liner out to spray, am I likely to have the standard material just start to come off of its own accord and I'll end up having to do a full re-trim anyway?

lothaer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina V6
awesome guide definately gonna use it, quick question my rear lining trim has snapped away does anyone know where to get a replacement in SA? and roughly how much?

BAW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ exec
Only thing Im wondering is how secure is the standard material stuck to the liner? I.e when I pull the liner out to spray, am I likely to have the standard material just start to come off of its own accord and I'll end up having to do a full re-trim anyway?

its on there pretty good in vz's
i doubt respraying would cause any problems at all

jc-unit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Olympic edition VT 2
Far out man looks so much better. I used off white vinyl for mine, looks sweet!!

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
My fabric has started the come unstuck from the front visor area and I love the idea of replacing the fabric with colourful design and we plan to have the windscreen replaced at the same time which will make removing the lining easier.
My question : is it advisable to replace the foam or could the original form be used if in good condition.

senatorestate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Senator Estate Signature wagon
Hey guys. Great post on the re-cladding of the roof lining.
I have a VR wagon and decided whilst the roof liner was out of the vehicle i would re-attach the strut bars (3 in total) which have come away from the roof itself, the worst one sagging aprox 15mm. Driving the car minus the roof lining they just rattled away so after checking out both wagons and sedans at the wreckers and finding these struts all seem to be attached to roof itself I thought I was doing the right thing by re-sticking them. HOWEVER. after re-sticking just one (the middle one directly behind the interior light) the whole roof section now bows/moves/flexes when going over a decent bump in the road, creating a real cracking noise, whereas the ones that have come away from the roof lining have movement not being stuck there, they don't cause the flexing of the roof. B4 i cut away this new re-stuck one has anyone out there got any clues. I used a good quality polyurethane adhesive which was recommended as it had enough flex to allow for a small amount of movement. Apart from the noise that scares the crap out of ya I'm guessing this isn't the go.

Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated guys.
Thanks

Rumples

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV Holden Commodore Sedan
Hey Guys,

Has anyone changed the headlining in their VE commodores? I have an 07 VE SSV Sedan.
After reading this thread I am keen to give it a crack myself as there's only one upholstery company up here in Darwin and they quoted me $400!!!:bomb:

It isn't sagging in the center, only the corners and edges are peeling off. I used normal superglue to try hold it up even though the upholsters said it wouldn't work. They said the whole lot needs to come off and replace the foam and lining as also mentioned in this thread.

Does anyone know if the spray on adhesive may work seeing as its not too bad??

Here are a few pictures. Any help appreciated!! :)

2013-01-15214228_zpsa4f8d44b.jpg

2013-01-15214201_zps8ed637e8.jpg

2013-01-15214153_zps3929b595.jpg

2013-01-15214134_zpsf1a6ddcf.jpg