Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove VZ fresh/recirculate actuator

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I tried to post the HVAC file. There really is too much there to post, so here; download this:
(only works on PC or Mac)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-8JJ0l9vjMjbIzCgTX8u2DFOgJAeoJjV?usp=share_link

Open the start here file. Go to VZ/WL, go to VZ, Go to service info, go to service info again, and then you want section 2A from the side bar document navigation.

As you scroll through you will see the schematic diagrams of the HVAC

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 5.09.39 pm.png

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If the actuator is faulty, well its on the bottom.
This is the bottom view. Part marked 32.
Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 5.48.23 pm.png

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 6.02.35 pm.png

You can do that with the actuators still in there. Have some tube to go on. The actuator in question is a 2 stage actuator so you need the set up to be like the bottom picture.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Remove the dash:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I recon you could get the two screws off with a small flat ratcheting screw driver with a Philips head bit in it. That would mean you wouldn't have to remove everything.

Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 6.13.11 pm.png

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I purchased a brake bleader,
manual hand vac pump,
And tested all 3 on the Adventra,
That’s how I found 2 of the 3 were faulty,
Split diaphragms,
Went to the wreckers, purchased a few of them, replaced the 2 in question,
Shelved the others ;)

PS: each actuator has 2 diaphragms in them, hence why they have 2 vac pipes going to each actuator,
The diaphragms perish. And split.

dat111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
thanks so much fu manchu. its actually a berlina. so it has the climate control. i have found the two of the actuators above the transmission tunnel.

was a little dodgy on going to the wreckers. but it seems to be the best option.
ive had some weird pricing. one fella wanted 120 bucks for a used one an another wanted 40 bucks.

after exhausting facebook (which seems all these days is "what will my exhaust sound like/or anybody got photos of X springs in a X model of commodore" an seeing that a youtuber who makes vidoes on his adventer you were commenting on them an i went an jumped on here.

so massive help thanks so much mate. i may aswell replace of the ones under the foot well an go searching for number 3

edit:
i was playing around with the controls last night an i actually got the recirculate to work at one point after changing from feet to face, an pressing the recirculate it worked for a good 30 seconds an then decided to **** the bed again. i was so over the moon hoping i had fixed it lol.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
In the video I linked, old mate takes the front off the HVAC box. I should have done that to mine when cleaning it out. Doing that creates a lot of space and makes getting to the actuators underneath the hvac unit much easier. One of these will help get to the screws that hold it in. It’s a ratcheting screw driver put a Philips bit in and away you go. Hammerbarn sells them. $20.
IMG_4680.jpeg

Removing the HVAC will require the ac to be degassed and the parts list gets bigger because at that point you may as well overhaul it with new evap, drier, TXV, heater core.

You can buy new single stage actuators cheap enough from eBay. (Fuscars is the go to seller) It’s the dual stage actuators that are pricey. 150-200 new or used.

I posted manual info because it’s the most common. Auto climate is in that download I posted. Follow the navigation path I posted and you’ll get to the auto hvac info as well.

dat111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
hey @Fu Manchu
been looking at getting one of the ratcheting screw drivers as you have posted above. have had no luck in finding that exact one. only found few that were average looking.
ive ordered a vaccum pump/brake bleeder of ebay so i can test the vaccum solenoid. an find out which one is going to be the best option.