Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much am i looking at?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
coool, i hope im doing this right.

to all those guys out there who quote/repair etc. how much exactly do you think i would be looking at if i took my impala (in its current state) to a beater to get all the gaps right and finish it off. basically there are:

2 quarters that need large replacement patches then a skim of bog
2 guards need bog and fitting, all rust gone
2 sills need bog, no rust
4 doors just need lining up and windows adjusted correctly
bonnet needs to be adjusted
front and rear bars fitted, gapped.

the boot is the big one, needs to be shrunk back, fitted up (the rear window panel will need to be redone to match it) then bogged

all pics of its current stage are in my impala thread (lick on the link in my sig)

thanks for your time.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
lol, love the quote.
The fact that we can't actually inspect the car means impossible to quote the job.

Expect in the vacinity of 15-20K.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
2 pak paint jobs start at about $7000 these days. That's just for a paint job, no repairs, mabye a few small dents but nothing major. At an educated guess (if you can find a panel shop that's interested) you will end up spending about $15,000.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

MDVXSS

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXSS, VR acclaim, VS wagon, HQ One-Tonner
2 pak paint jobs start at about $7000 these days. That's just for a paint job, no repairs, mabye a few small dents but nothing major. At an educated guess (if you can find a panel shop that's interested) you will end up spending about $15,000.

no affence mate but i laughed at what you just said. do you even know what your talking about?
i start my 2pak jobs at 2k and they arent **** jobs either

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
7k? are you high? i got my boot resprayed for 200......

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
no affence mate but i laughed at what you just said. do you even know what your talking about?
i start my 2pak jobs at 2k and they arent **** jobs either

You're not charging enough then mate....Well, my ute cost me nearly $1400 in materials alone, so you're charging $600 to paint a car? I've worked in a few panel shops (panel beater by trade) been out of the trade for a few years now and back then paint jobs started at $5000. If you're doing a respray for less than $5000 you're selling yourself short. Mabye i just worked in expensive shops :p Mabye $7000 was a bit rich but $5000 is about the going rate. Most places, you would get a Mexican spray job for $2000 :p

My brother (spray painter) is charging nearly half what you charge for a respray to paint 2 doors.....

7k? are you high? i got my boot resprayed for 200......

Bit of a difference between painting a boot and a whole car.....

Anyway, Ari just go around some panel shops and get some quotes, see what they say. Honestly, 90% of panel shops won't want to touch it. Why no paint? You got someone already lined up to paint it?

Last edited:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
You got someone already lined up to paint it?

lol, yeah me :p

edit* let me explain. i have a painter which i have been sending all our important repair/resprays since 1997. he works with glasurit paint, does cars for the melbourne auto salon, and i have never really seen a better painter. HOWEVER, he quoted me 6-8 grand for the respray (over the phone without looking at the car) as long as there was nothing to fix and i rubbed it all down in his shop.

so what i want to do in the meantime is get it all straight and RWC, spray it myself to get it driving again, then i can take my time saving enough to pay for it (while driving around) then pay a little bit extra later on.

Last edited:

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
ari the guy that did my one tonner, uve seen the work? he is fast and he is also a painter..
hes at my house today painting my house if u want i can ask if he is interested?

edit: just spoke to him.. PMing u now