Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hot tip please on sump bolts

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Whats the quickest, most absolute quickest way to get the two front short sump bolts out that hide above the power steering rack

We're cleaning up so many oil pick up lately at work and cleaning the sump pans, but the two front bolts take way too long to crack and then remove in such a small space

We use a the ringy, the ratchet spanner, then the small 13 socket, doesn't take that long but...

Whats everyone elses technique to save incredible time

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you can get a socket on it, an air ratchet or battery powered ratchet would be the way to go.

If you need to move the ratchet away from the rack, you can use a uni joint or an extension bar or even a wobble bar....

IMA, never done one but only going off a normal sump and things that can be in the way of removing bolts

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Cheers, we can do it easily, but i know theres a quick way, we do it from under the hoist, might be quicker yea from the top and working blind with a rachet spanner

Zip zip zip

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Cheers, we can do it easily, but i know theres a quick way, we do it from under the hoist, might be quicker yea from the top and working blind with a rachet spanner

Zip zip zip

You asked for aa quicker way, which has been suggested, now a response like this...

Sounds like you're posting crap because you can

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
You asked for aa quicker way, which has been suggested, now a response like this...

Sounds like you're posting crap because you can
Must be the air or something in Adelaide S.A. :D :D

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
It's better to do things correctly once than fixing your mistakes 2 or 3 times, because you were trying to save time...

You're someone I wouldn't get to work on my cars because you seem to rush everything you do though I guess it's too late because I got your VY already with $15k in the boot haha

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
"It's better to do things correctly once than fixing your mistakes 2 or 3 times, because you were trying to save time..."

This means that it's better to do something properly once than to do fix your rush job multiple times, as it will take longer in the end...
agreed mate but one must learn before he can acquire perfection…

part of any process is to F up & then fix the F up…

I can’t recall a time that I never F’d up

now my F ups are less frequent but more expensive as I’m dwelling into different territory

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It's better to do things correctly once than fixing your mistakes 2 or 3 times, because you were trying to save time...
Took me quite a while to learn that shortcuts when repairing cars very rarely save you any time in the long run. Most of the time you end up compromising the repair and then you are back in there sooner having to repair it again because the fix didn’t hold up properly. Now I take my time and do the job right so I’m not having to pull it all apart again.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Took me quite a while to learn that shortcuts when repairing cars very rarely save you any time in the long run. Most of the time you end up compromising the repair and then you are back in there sooner having to repair it again because the fix didn’t hold up properly. Now I take my time and do the job right so I’m not having to pull it all apart again.
Amen to that....

i think we've all been caught out from time to time rushing a job due to 1 reason or another