Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hi Everyone:)

S

sikvlturbo

hi,

i'm after my first car and am thinking of a vh sle (i love the chrome rap around bumpers). The only thing i don't like is the 202 carbi engine. i was wondering how a rb30, or even an et, would go in it.

could you please give me a few tips and tell me what you think?

also, would it be hard to get it registered?

i was thinking a v8 but they are too much to run for me right now.

chuck

Reaction score
Why not put an injection manifold on the blue motor off a vk and mount a turbo in front ,.Make it turbo injected that'd be different. But yes an RB 30 will fit with a bit of work ,not hard just buy a VL thats been hit from behind then you get everything you need for the conversion.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
here is some funny info for you all,

the vk, vl, vn chassie is the same, all engine mounts are in the same spot, nothing is different there, the engine will bolt in, no problems there, only problem you will have is doing the change of wiring harness to make the rb30 work, what ever is in the vk, you can pretty much double the size of cable, e.g. going from a 1.5mm2 to a 2.5mm2, other than that, no problems there, as for rego, it wont cost you anymore than what you are paying now. however, make sure you tell yoru relevent transport authority what you are doing first, they wont alow changes like that. up here, we have to tell qld transport about the change over as they consider a different engine in a car a modification. not sure about other states. that's how i cam unstuck with the vl i had

hope this helps.

cheers
garth

p.s. if my memory servs me, which it probably dont, the gearbox mounts might be a bit different, not realy sure on that one though.

J

Jaws

QUOTE the vk, vl, vn chassie is the same, all engine mounts are in the same spot

yes that's right.
The Vk 202 crossmember would need to be changed to a VL 6 as the mounts are different for the rb30.
It's a straight swap, the vk suspension doesnt need to be touched.

QUOTE p.s. if my memory servs me, which it probably dont, the gearbox mounts might be a bit different, not realy sure on that one though

Yes that's right, it will also differ as it's auto or manual.
Vl gb mounts are not the same as any other commoodore model.

Picking up a complete VL is the best way of doing the conversion as the list of parts that can be swapped over are.
*engine and gb
*wiring loom
*fuel tank
*seats
*radiator and hoses
*dash
*tailshaft and diff
*complete brake setup.