Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with VL Drum Brake Removal

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There should be a grommet over the adjuster hole, pretty sure my VL had them.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
There should be a grommet over the adjuster hole, pretty sure my VL had them.

I reckon your right......VB through to VL were pretty much the same in the brake area

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I reckon your right......VB through to VL were pretty much the same in the brake area
2 of my VL's had disc rear. 1 was 6cyl manual and the other was manual turbo. The VL wagon and sedans I had that were 6cyl auto had drum rear brakes.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
View attachment 209668 Hey syked, yes it is weird there is no adjuster. The best picture I could find on the Internet was this one. The hole is located behind the long silver arm on the right hand side which i am sure is the hand brake lever as on the left hand side is the hole where the handbrake cable comes through.

Ok, it sounds like your shoes are worn or and you have grooved drums.

As @VC suggested place a flat screw driver or proper brake adjuster through the hole at the top of backing plate and push it in hitting a metal lever inwards towards drum. This is the inside handbrake lever that sits against the small star screw adjuster under the wheel cylinder/springs at the top and it should release the shoes from the drum at the bottom. Leave screw driver wedged in there and try to take drum off at the bottom off first by pushing down on the top of drum.

If it won’t budge then while leaving screw driver in you need to get the flat brake adjuster tool and put it in next to screw driver and turn the star adjuster all the way in 1 direction to get shoes to close in smaller. If you still can’t take drum off screw the adjuster the other way.

Get the bottom of drum off first as getting the top off first will jam the bottom especially if your shoes/drums are worn/grooved badly.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
2 of my VL's had disc rear. 1 was 6cyl manual and the other was manual turbo. The VL wagon and sedans I had that were 6cyl auto had drum rear brakes.

Thats why they were all inter changeable

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

So it is great for you to confirm that VB through to VL had the same braking system...:)

I believe the brakes were interchangeable inbetween those models, I have mentioned....

Spearwoodlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Sl
Thanks a lot everyone. There is definitely only one small hole that is located directly behind the hand brake lever. I haven’t had a chance to look again but will let you know how I go.
Appreciate your help.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thanks a lot everyone. There is definitely only one small hole that is located directly behind the hand brake lever. I haven’t had a chance to look again but will let you know how I go.
Appreciate your help.

Now its time for violence(or an angle grinder)...

Spearwoodlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Sl
80ACE776-037C-4A87-85D0-BCEF38A11E8D.jpeg
I went old school and went to the library for a manual. It doesn’t have an adjuster as suspected from the previous photo, it is an automatic adjustment.
As per attachment, used screwdriver in hole to lever handbrake lever while bleeding off brake fluid from nipple and the drum basically fell off!
New wheel cylinder required as it’s leaking.
Thanks all for you input.