Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help Power Robbed

T

tomevyss2see

Hi every one, i have just bought a brand new Vy ss1 and i am disapointed with the power. I have only doen 2800Km and some people are telling me that it should go better after 5000Km? What engine mods can i do?

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Great choice of car, with it being a new car i have herd it needs to be "run in" but i thought that was with old cars but it should get all its power after 5000k's.

P

Phil

What so of power gains are you thinking it should have?

What are you comparing the car to?

Engines in most of todays model cars do not need running in as such, however there is a general rule of thumb that you do not sit on any one speed for long periods of time and never rev limit the car in the first 1,500klms.. You should vary speed, rev range and gear position in that time. This will give the engine a greater response range when its call upon by the driver later on and will prevent some engine stress.

A little more info is needed as to what your car is doing to make it not as quick as it should be. Have you previously owned a holden with the GENIII?..

There are mods you can do to increase performance such as exhaust, coldair induction, remapping of the ECU etc etc.. Exhaust changes have the most significant performance increase for a fairly cheap cost, thats where I would start first. I find using 98PLUP in my SS GENIII gives it just that little extra zing and I get better fuel ecconomy. The quality of fuel sometimes can be an issue in performance as well as weather climate. Hotter and more humid areas tend to lessen the performance of a car then say in colder climate areas with a higher altitude. All this can be modified to where you live by your holden dealer and changing the ECU for these conditions.. The overall changes are minimal with the GENIII given its power output.

Cheers,
Phil

235rwkw

Reaction score
have seen vys retuned from the 240 kw at the motor stock to 235/240 kws at the back wheels which is over 310 kws at the motor, who needs a GTS.

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
you are correct that the car wont be as free at the moment after only having done 2,800 klm,this is normal and your friends are correct after 5000 k,s it will be a bit more responsive ,even though todays cars are made to a looser tolerance in the motor from new you will still find it will rev freely after about 10,000 k,s,dont be in a hurry to get the extra performance out of it yet let it run in properly and the motor will be a lot sweeter once you have done that,also the gearbox and diff need to bed themselves in too so dont rush it,too many cars are spoilt by people driving them hard when they are new,if you are in a hurry take it for some long country runs on the weekends,this will bed it all in nicely
cheers fergi

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Blame your ECU, a major reason you don't need a tight running in schedule since EFI is cause the ECU reads the Kms on the ODO and mixes fuel and air ratios, timing & lockup to suit the engine when its running it, so it will not run at normal ratio until a certain amount of Ks have been racked up.

235rwkw

Reaction score
QUOTE (MaNiac_VP @ Nov 30 2003, 11:14 AM) Blame your ECU, a major reason you don't need a tight running in schedule since EFI is cause the ECU reads the Kms on the ODO and mixes fuel and air ratios, timing & lockup to suit the engine when its running it, so it will not run at normal ratio until a certain amount of Ks have been racked up.
Don't think so, the PCM doesn't read off the K's, they are logged by the Dash module and BCM.

Inputs to the PCM do not include K's travelled.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Really well I read that in a letter reply in Motor magazine.
Maybe it was the BCM I am not sure i am just trying to remeber what i read a while back.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I love the SS, Im a VR SS fan, and they have grount. I raced many XR8's at the times of the EF, and my SS ripped all of them. Lately I drove a 285kw Clubsport, there awesome.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
QUOTE (235rwkw @ Nov 28 2003, 11:45 PM) have seen vys retuned from the 240 kw at the motor stock to 235/240 kws at the back wheels which is over 310 kws at the motor, who needs a GTS.
what do you do when you need to make a warranty claim on the powertrain?