Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! Is my DFI module dying?

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Hello all,

Today as I went to start my car it turned over but no spark. Mr NRMA came along and got me going (most of the way home) by thinking it was a dodgy connector, gave the plug a wiggle and it lept into life.

Tonight I removed the coilpack/DFI module in an effort to get to the plug at the base. I noticed that the DFI module (not the coil) sounds like it has sand or something in it when I shake it. I have my doubts this is good.

Thoughts??

Cheers

Mike

hazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN COMMODORE V6
Is it a Vn DFI module of the upgrade VP. I thought myne was a Vn so i brought a new one then found out that its a Vp. I would b guessing it would be the Vn 1 coz it is big compared to the vp. the vp is flat. But the rattling wouldnt be good at all. i would b inclined to get a new one. but dont make the same mistake i did

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
I have replaced my S1 module for a S2 one. I am still keen to replace the plug, but at the moment it seems to be behaving.

Mike

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
sorry to revive such an old thread but i am having the EXACT same problemo at the moment and sometimes it has caused the engine to cut out while im actually driving............it had me rooted as to what it was and it also sometimes made my car rev up and drop down revs while warming up in the morning but had no problem when it was warm...........

my mechanic just had a fiddle with the dfi module and it worked sweet for a few days then yesterday it wouldnt even start, i checked the leads and there wasnt even any spark getting to the leads, so i loosened the dif module screw that holds it to the coil pack and it turned right over.

Would i just be better off buying an all new assembly? and i hear you cant fit VR assemblys to a VN / VP? only the VS ones will fit...........

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
anyone????

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
or possibly the CAS but ifthe dfi has something loose in it then that can't be good either

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
sudden spark cut? like it just dies then wont go on again? 5 mins later start up and drive normal?

thats ya DFI!!!!!!!! had the same thing happen last week

yep thats the one..........if ya try and start it straight away it struggles a bit but turns over..........oh wells new DFI module and coil pack here we come..........hmmm

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
or possibly the CAS but ifthe dfi has something loose in it then that can't be good either

well apparently my mechanic said the terminals were getting all loose and buggered so it should really replace it anyway i suppose

is replacement just a matter of hooking one end of the DFI module into the ECU and the other end into the coil pack and then mounting the coil pack and hooking the leads to the coil pack?