Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HD and HR Holdens

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Didn't some of the later Prems have PS? I could be wrong but I thought it was possible to retrofit a later model steering box?

Don't think power steer was an option with HR's

Yes it could be possible to retro fit a later model steering box....It's something that'd need researching.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was thinking HG Prem, but they may not have had it either. I vaguely remember years ago about someone who fitted PS to an early Holden. I could be completely wrong my memory is hazy at best these days.

From what I understand with the AC its a separate unit that sits under the dash and doesn't go through the factory heater.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Didn't some of the later Prems have PS? I could be wrong but I thought it was possible to retrofit a later model steering box?

it is... along with the column

I confounded everyone of my mates by replacing the 3 speed crash box in the HD
with 3 speed all synchro box from a HG Kingswood and I wanted the collapsible column
and the column gear shift too... gotta look factory!

Its a bolt in... both of them ! but you do have to delete the cross shaft gear shift to floor mechanism
GMH used on HK-HG Holdens with the 3 speed box shift set up. Still worked fine but :)

and that of course will allow ps to be fitted

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
My 1st car was a HD Premier, paid a whole $700 dollars for it in 1975, 179ci with the HP block, 2 speed Powerglide auto, the low rise bucket seats were beautiful like arm chairs. Went all over the country in that car, great memories. Eventually traded it in for V8 LX Torana

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I'll be damned.....Honestly didn't think power steer was an option.....Now the search would be on to find the power steer box and intermediate shaft to suit
Didn't the EH Holden have power steering option for the s4 option.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
power steering in a HR even though it is a thing is a bit of a waste as they have a worm and shaft setup which is pretty light - easy to adjust too haha), hell i had a lowered front end, low profile 235's on the front, with a little SAAS steering wheel and had no trouble with steering at all, unlike rack and pinion which is heavy as hell without power assist. I also think it wasn't progressive so could get people into trouble at speed. With the stocko tyres (175's) the steering is seriously light.

a/c is definitely doable i have an ac unit banging around somewhere it fits under the dash, but i never installed it.

My HD had the red Premier interior - seriously nice with the fan and demister and stuff but my HR was only Special spec so i missed out on the fan, lol. What a thing to say - has no fan, can you imagine that today - yeah see this lever? it opens a flap under the dash and you kinda get a breeze, but if you get the top end model that flap can also have a fan to blow air.... onto your feet. Oh and it has a heater too, but the Special and base model - no fan or heat.

People really are spoiled now, "no carplay" is a deal breaker.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Red Premier interior remember it fondly

Barberoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV ute
What was under the bonnet?
Sorry Cazza, just spotted your question. It had 186 bored to fu#$ knows! 192 at a guess. Head was supplied by CHES (Cylinder Head Engineering Servic) Fremantle at the time. Originally motor wa built by Jim Miorada, legend builder in the late 60's. Only ran twin Stromberg and had 3 speed "crash box" with Inline straight floorshift. Car was originally owned by legend Chris Mills. He sold it to buy his first 327 HK Monaro that we built at West Coast Speed Equipment for its first drag race at Ravenswood WA. The engine was swapped into an EH ute that o owned and ran 14.2 secs 1/4 mile at Ravenswood.
What was under the bonnet?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230412-175730_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230412-175730_Gallery.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 109